Compiz vs Marco on MATE

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
marmistrz
Level 3
Level 3

Compiz vs Marco on MATE

Post by marmistrz » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:05 pm

What are the pros/cons of using MATE with each of the WMs? Since Rebecca both are preinstalled.

I know of course of the desktop effects, but I don't need them at all. Anything else for one of the options?

MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Compiz vs Marco on MATE

Post by MartyMint » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:30 pm

Compiz on MATE is utterly mangled.

The only halfway decent compositor is Kwin, which also works quite well on the XFCE desktop.

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:18 pm

It has been my observation that Compiz causes more problems then what its worth.

Unless you really want all the eye candy I would stay away from it.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

marmistrz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marmistrz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:04 am

ibbill wrote:It has been my observation that Compiz causes more problems then what its worth.

Unless you really want all the eye candy I would stay away from it.
Just wondering: what are these problems?

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:51 pm

You may want to look at the firs 5 pages of the 600 plus for a few problems with compiz

http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php

Note I am not saying not to try it . It was just my observation of the problems a few have had.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

marmistrz
Level 3
Level 3

Post by marmistrz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:57 pm

ibbill wrote:You may want to look at the firs 5 pages of the 600 plus for a few problems with compiz

http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php

Note I am not saying not to try it . It was just my observation of the problems a few have had.
Thanks ;) I'm not bent on having problems with compiz :)

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:43 pm

I've been using Compiz since it first arrived on the scene years ago and I never have trouble with it. My experience with Mate on Mint 17.1 is no different. The key to trouble free Compiz is having well supported hardware, the correct driver and a well configured compiz backend file.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
86.5 GB DDR3 RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX 660
Linux Mint 18.2 MATE 1.18 +Compiz
Kernel 4.09 LTS

raptir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by raptir » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:06 pm

I've had occasional issues with compiz but nothing major. Stuff like a window not returning to its proper size after tiling and trying to restore it. As long as you're careful about the configuration you shouldn't run into too much trouble.

I'd say the major tradeoff is just on resources. Marco is very lightweight while compiz is a bit heavier on your GPU in particular. Compiz will still run fine on most hardware, but with my laptop I notice reduced battery life with compiz vs marco/xfwm.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:03 pm

cmost wrote:I've been using Compiz since it first arrived on the scene years ago and I never have trouble with it. My experience with Mate on Mint 17.1 is no different. The key to trouble free Compiz is having well supported hardware, the correct driver and a well configured compiz backend file.
Well, how do you do this lol. I'm on a laptop so I think the hardware is fixed as far as Graphics go right? Probably have the right Driver or it would not work at all, would it? Backend file, well I don't know if that would help if I don't have the rest? Because I would love to run at least one or two of these effects! Like Wobbly Windows or Wavy.

I was running Wobbly windows but had some other issues and then Compiz went south. I might have to reinstall OS because I already tried to completely uninstalling compiz in PM and re-installing but that did not help.

Also guys, what can be done with Macro? I didn't know anything about this, I don't need much but just love this eye candy stuff! I will try and install it soon!
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

raptir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by raptir » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 am

pcpunk wrote:
cmost wrote:I've been using Compiz since it first arrived on the scene years ago and I never have trouble with it. My experience with Mate on Mint 17.1 is no different. The key to trouble free Compiz is having well supported hardware, the correct driver and a well configured compiz backend file.
Well, how do you do this lol. I'm on a laptop so I think the hardware is fixed as far as Graphics go right? Probably have the right Driver or it would not work at all, would it? Backend file, well I don't know if that would help if I don't have the rest? Because I would love to run at least one or two of these effects! Like Wobbly Windows or Wavy.

I was running Wobbly windows but had some other issues and then Compiz went south. I might have to reinstall OS because I already tried to completely uninstalling compiz in PM and re-installing but that did not help.

Also guys, what can be done with Macro? I didn't know anything about this, I don't need much but just love this eye candy stuff! I will try and install it soon!
Marco is the default window manager on MATE. It's a fork of the old metacity window manager used by GNOME 2. It doesn't have any effects but can be used for compositing if you need it for another applications (like cairo-dock).

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:06 pm

raptir, that was not really an answer to getting my Compiz to work lol, but okay. Maybe you will help me though, I have another post over here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&t=188575

I would love to get my Compiz working again but lost "Desktop Settings" the program that let's one change from Macro to Compiz. I think this happened when I changed Kernels to fix another problem. I have since reversed all that but in the process lost Desktop Settings icon in the Menu.

raptir
Level 2
Level 2

Post by raptir » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:52 am

pcpunk wrote:raptir, that was not really an answer to getting my Compiz to work lol, but okay. Maybe you will help me though, I have another post over here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 2&t=188575

I would love to get my Compiz working again but lost "Desktop Settings" the program that let's one change from Macro to Compiz. I think this happened when I changed Kernels to fix another problem. I have since reversed all that but in the process lost Desktop Settings icon in the Menu.
I was answering the last line of your post:
Also guys, what can be done with Macro?

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Gotcha, and read your post at my other thread earlier today, thanks!

Return to “MATE”