[Solved] Authentication Failure for Synaptic

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
prudra

[Solved] Authentication Failure for Synaptic

Post by prudra »

A newcomer in Linux Mint with previous experience only in Debian and opensuse, I am habituated to work with su and not sudo; so I have set a password
for root. So as root when I give the shell command #synaptic & It works fine. However for convenience I have put some frequently used icons like
Terminal, Firefox, Synaptic etc. on the top panel. Clicking these icons save time. But when I clicked Synaptic and entered the Authentication Password,
I was told that Authentication failed. I am baffled. Shall I remove synaptic Icon from the panel, or is there a way to make this icon behave properly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Authentication Failure for Synaptic

Post by richyrich »

It might be expecting your sudo password, which is the first/original user password which was set up during Mint installation.

Root is a separate entity, sudo gives the first/original user temporary super user priviledges. They are not the same. Mint was set up to use sudo priviledges.
prudra

Re: Authentication Failure for Synaptic

Post by prudra »

richyrich wrote:It might be expecting your sudo password, which is the first/original user password which was set up during Mint installation.

Root is a separate entity, sudo gives the first/original user temporary super user priviledges. They are not the same. Mint was set up to use sudo priviledges.
Thanks. So it does. I see that I still have much to learn.

Return to “MATE”