Changing desktop icon font color from white to black

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
blueredgreen
Level 2
Level 2

Changing desktop icon font color from white to black

Post by blueredgreen » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Linuxmint 17.1 mate with mint-x theme uses a white font for the desktop icons (I think it is actually white with kind of a greyish shadow to help you to see it with lighter desktop backgrounds).

I would like to change the color to black, with no "shadow" if possible. I think I need to change a css file in usr - share - themes - mint-x - gtk-3.0 but can't figure out which part(s) of which css file need changing.

Does anyone know if there are any linuxmint distros or themes that use black icon font instead of white? I find the popular dark desktops just hurt my eyes with the white font.
Last edited by blueredgreen on Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Changing desktop icon font color from white to black

Post by ibbill » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:36 pm

Woodman on this url seems to have the solution good luck

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=167304
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 18 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Hamilton Ontario

blueredgreen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blueredgreen » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Woodman's solution is for lmde, i've seen his thread before and was not able to make it work on linuxmint mate ... configuration files etc just don't seem to be the same, still hoping someone knows how to do this for linuxmint mate.

Looks like he is saying that with lmde if you use a solid color, you get black font and white font if you use an image for desktop. Does anyone know if that is still the case? That's mostly what I am looking for, but probably not worth changing operating systems just for desktop font.

Linuxmint mate seems to stay white no matter which color or picture you put on the desktop, even a pure white desktop has white font.

midtempo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by midtempo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:45 pm

I would like to resurrect this thread because I am having the same problem. I just want to change the color of my desktop icon text from white to black. While I've seen some advice on how to do this in Cinnamon, I have seen no advice in MATE.

I couldn't figure out how to do it through Gnome Color Chooser. Changing the Desktop > Icon Labels > Text did nothing.

roblm
Level 9
Level 9

Post by roblm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:38 pm

midtempo,

Open the File Manager and be sure Hidden Files are visible. Then go to /home/your-user-name/.config/gtk-3.0. Right click in the empty space and select Create Document > Empty File. Name it gtk.css. Open the file and add these lines:

Code: Select all

.caja-desktop.caja-canvas-item {
color: #000000;
}
Logout and back in.

Return to “MATE”