Mate bottom panel does not always load at startup

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
StewB
Level 1
Level 1

Mate bottom panel does not always load at startup

Post by StewB »

I saw this problem on a friend's laptop using Mint Mate 17,,2 and now its happening to me too. One install is 64 bit the other is 32 bit. After startup loads the desktop and bottom panel, when I try to click Menu nothing happens. The yellow tooltip is not active either. Other items in the bottom panel will not work and show no tooltips. The computer is kind of froze but CTRL/ALT/Backspace allows me to log in again and it always seems to work this second time. I should also mention that my machine is set to auto login.

This does not always happen and sometimes always happens. It's not a show stopper but I'd like a idea of how to solve this.

Thanks, Stew Bottorf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mate bottom panel does not always load at startup

Post by all41 »

Hi,
try:

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
Note that this will restore the panel to original defaults, and any customizations and applets will be reset.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
StewB
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mate bottom panel non-responsive at startup

Post by StewB »

After documenting my setup on the bottom panel, I tried the command: mate-panel --reset

The first reboot was fine. The second I'm back to the unresponsive issue.

So this is not a fix. Restart xserver with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE fixes issue. Any other ideas?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

This is a curious issue--I have installed Mate on many different computers without such an issue
and you have encountered it twice.
Since you are able to bring up a terminal:

Code: Select all

killall caja
Does that activate the panel navigation?
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I too have this same problem with the panel not loading to occur on random occasions.

Any thoughts ?

I am wondering if this is a Linux Mint problem or a hardware problem because to the best of my recall even though this
happens occasionally on my desktop computer (Dell Optiplex model 980), I don't remember it ever happening on my laptop (ASUS) computer
(note: that the ASUS laptop is all original except for now having Linux Mint on it instead of that crappy MS$ OS.

I have tested memory (on the desktop computer) and that does not seem to be the problem, so I am wondering if it might be related
to either the hard drive (which is a SATA2 Samsung SSD) or to the processor itself which is an Intel I5.

Am running Linux Mint 18.3 mate.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

wpshooter wrote:
I am wondering if this is a Linux Mint problem . . . .
I don't think so; I've been using LM Mate for quite a while and have never had this problem.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

using mate 17.3 and every once in a while panel disappears but reappears on it's own. if it doesn't i use CTRL+ALT+BACK SPACE and it will log me out, then i login

try changing window managers to marco+compton
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Another thought is that apps or scripts added to Startup may try loading at the same time caja and the panel are being loaded.
I encountered this, and for that reason I made a special script with a delay to allow Mint to finish loading before execution of xinput modifications, conky, and a couple other items I needed to run.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

all41 wrote:Another thought is that apps or scripts added to Startup may try loading at the same time caja and the panel are being loaded.
I encountered this, and for that reason I made a special script with a delay to allow Mint to finish loading before execution of xinput modifications, conky, and a couple other items I needed to run.
Why would the OS try to load these at the same time, is it not smart enough to load these in an order that would not interfere with one another ?

Your fix may work great for you but what about everyone else who do not know how to make a script to cure this ??? Isn't this something
that should be fixed on a OS level so that the problem can not occur to start with ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

I had this happen twice recently. I am running LM17.3 Mate on a Dell OptiPlex 7010 desktop. It happened on startup after running LM18.3 Mate as a live USB. A restart got rid of the problem. Both my panels did not show up, bottom and left.
polol

Post by polol »

Hi,

I had the same problem. I made a startup application with the following content:

bash -c "sleep 10;mate-panel --replace"

Found it on internet and it works for me.

Return to “MATE”