Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
asquartz
Level 1
Level 1

mate-settings-d using all my memory?

Post by asquartz »

Hello,

I've been having some issues with my laptop freezing up due to intense disk activity.

It often happens when I'm using Firefox, but then I'm nearly always using firefox. Today it happened when I was using Chrome.

I managed to get a terminal open to run "top" (took about a minute to open, and 30 secs to run top, due to the disk thrashing). As it turns out, mate-settings-d was using about 80% of my memory according to top. All of my 2GB RAM was used, and 2GB of my 3GB swap space was also used. I tried to kill the process but this did not work (mate-settings-d continued to run), and I have to resort to powering off and back on.

I'm running Mint 17.2 Rafaela Mate 64 bit on a Dell Latitude E6410 with quad core CPU and 2GB RAM.

I'd appreciate any suggestions in how to start diagnosing this, please?

Many thanks,

Andy.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: mate-settings-d using all my memory?

Post by Flemur »

Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill »

Andy try Flemur fixes first.

Someone also suggest the following not sure why that would work but give it a try. Again after you follow up on Flemur fixes.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
run dconf-editor] in editor go to org > mate > desktop > peripherals > keyboard
uncheck remember-numlock-state
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 19 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Canada

asquartz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by asquartz »

Thank you Flemur and ibbill for the helpful suggestions.

As of just now (fresh reboot), /run/user/1000/dconf/user is owned by andy:andy, and my .xsession-errors is only 16k and has nothing obvious in it.

The "fix" in Flemur's links seems to me does not stop the problem happening, rather it is a method of recovery when the problem happens. Therefore, next time it happens I will try kill-9ing the mate-settings-d and changing ownership of the user file, and see if that helps it to recover.

In the meantime I've implemented ibbills suggestion, as it turns out I already have dconf-tools, so it was easy enough to try.

I'll report back if it works...

Thanks again

Andy

Return to “MATE”