Changing focus window (Alt-Tab) laggy and sluggish w Rafaela

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monkeywrench

Changing focus window (Alt-Tab) laggy and sluggish w Rafaela

Post by monkeywrench »

Hi Forum,

I'm on x86_64 MATE edition using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 with the proprietary driver (352). Today I upgraded from Rebecca to Rafaela.

MATE has changed and, apparently, uses Compiz now. The main problem for me is that it now takes anywhere from 0.5 to 2 seconds to change between two windows using Alt-Tab. This is completely unacceptable. Previously Rebecca was exhibiting perfect performance with instantaneous change between windows. It seems to have some caching effect too (i.e. when I change from mate-terminal to gvim, for the first time it takes around 1 second, then on subsequent changes around 0.5 seconds or so).

I tried disabling all the compiz bullcrap (stupid effects, useless transparency and other optical bling bling), but the problem remained the same. Is anyone experiencing these issues, too? How can I fix them?

PLEASE don't start this shit with MATE. The reason that I migrated to Mint was precisely because you guys omitted bullcrap like this before. I need my workstation to WORK. If you break my productivity by introducing useless optical bling, I'm going to have a huge problem with that. I love Mint/MATE. Please don't turn it into yet another shitty Ubuntu clone. As it stands right now I'm so desperate that I'm only two inches away from restoring from backup, because the problem is THAT bad. It's absolutely horrible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Rob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
reddot

Re: Changing focus window (Alt-Tab) laggy and sluggish w Raf

Post by reddot »

monkeywrench wrote: MATE has changed and, apparently, uses Compiz now.
no, the default window manager is marco. you can change it in
control panel-->desktop settings-->windows tab-->window manager-->marco

you can also improve more by disabling software compositing window manager, uncheck below
control panel-->windows-->general-->(disable it)enable software compositing window manager

Return to “MATE”