Compiz -- Viewport preferences mystery

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
weyland

Compiz -- Viewport preferences mystery

Post by weyland »

I just started trying to use Compiz on Rosa MATE, largely to get a better grip on workspaces/viewports.

Immediately I got this problem when trying to configure and switch them. The image shows a panel on the right, which contains only the Switcher. For some reason it's tiny, and displayed horizontally instead of vertically. The Preferences dialogue always shows 1 in the Number box, even though I keep changing it to 6. Yet the Switcher always shows 4. What's going on? Is Compiz fighting with some other Windows manager, or what?

[The image size limit -- 320 x 240 -- is very limiting.]
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
weyland

Re: Compiz -- Viewport preferences mystery

Post by weyland »

It's set in Compiz General Options for some reason, not Switcher Preferences.

I thought that had fixed it, but it didn't. Now I can't switch at all, even though six viewports show vertically in the Panel. Back to the drawing board.

~

I've abandoned Compiz for the moment at least. It's too confusing and there's no proper manual that I can find, only a Wiki with broken links.
chuck8o8

Re: Compiz -- Viewport preferences mystery

Post by chuck8o8 »

I too thought one of my total system crashes was caused by compiz? Or, I caused the crash? ... nah, that couldn't happen.

I am on my forth reinstall of mint 17.3, mate edition. Therefore, I upgraded my status to super-newbie ... as in super confused newbie. This install appears to be very stable ... for days now.

Return to “MATE”