How Did I Create This Shortcut? [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

How Did I Create This Shortcut? [Solved]

Post by White Phoenix » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:02 am

I created this link to my downloads folder (called Nexus) a while back in Linux Mint 17 Mate. Now I want to create a link to my documents folder on an external drive, but I don’t remember how I did the Nexus folder. There is no shortcut symbol, so it isn’t a symbolic link. I am not allowed to make a hard link. If I use launcher, the icon looks right, but it doesn’t work. Besides the properties box for a launcher is different from the one shown in the screen shot. It is not a separate folder in the desktop folder. When I open Nexus from the link and from my user folder in separate windows, what I do in one window affects what happens in the other.

Does anyone have any idea what I did to create this link/shortcut? Image to show the link “Nexus” and its properties box.
Attachments
Nexus Link.PNG
Last edited by White Phoenix on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE
Toshiba Satellite L655d-S5151 (Intel dual processor, 64bit, 4G RAM)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How Did I Create This Shortcut?

Post by Spearmint2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:35 pm

Are you trying to create a link to the symlink? Instead open the home folder in your file manager (nemo, caja, etc) find the Documents folder and then right clk on it and choose to create the link.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:55 pm

That creates a link that has the shortcut symbol which I then transfer to the desktop. Which does work, but has the shortcut symbol attached. I created this link, or whatever it is called, on the desktop without the symbol on the icon. I know it can be done, because there the link to the Nexus folder is. I just don’t remember how I did it.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 am

Hi White Phoenix,

I can get this with copy/paste. I copy a folder and then paste it into the "Desktop" folder in my Home folder. It shows up on the desktop and it is not a symlink.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:40 am

Hard links must always reside on the same partition. That is the reason, why cannot use a hard link in your case.

The screenshot shows a real folder, obviously filled with about 400 MB of data. So you either moved or copied the folder Nexus or you did the following.

There is a special configuration possible: You can mount a folder like a drive. Example (you have to accommodate it):
Create on the Desktop a folder named Documents
Open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

sudo mount -B /home/phoenix/Documents /home/phoenix/Desktop/Documents/
This assumes, that phoenix is the user name.
What it does: The folder Documents inside the Desktop folder gets used as a mount-point for the Documents folder inside your home. The crucial (and rather seldom used) part in the command is the option -B in the mount-command.
If you have tested this and it works as you want you can create a respective line in /etc/fstab for automounting.

White Phoenix
Level 4
Level 4

Post by White Phoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:03 pm

Hard links must always reside on the same partition. That is the reason, why cannot use a hard link in your case.
Okay, that would explain it. The folder Nexus is on the same drive, the folder that I am trying to create a hard link to isn’t.
Linux Mint 17.3 / MATE

Return to “MATE”