Screen resolution - driver problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Screen resolution - driver problem

Post by Colin66 »

Following an update today on my Mint 17 computer, which I noticed contained some fglrx updates, I am now unable to obtain the correct display resolution on my monitor after rebooting. Only 1024x768 is offered in monitor control panel.
I went to the Driver Manager in the control centre but the Driver Manager window will not let me change anything.
There are 4 selections - xserver-xorg-video-ati (recommended), fglrx, fgrlx-updates and "continue using a manually installed driver"
The last button "continue using a manually installed driver" is activated and I cannot select anything else.
There is a message at the bottom saying "no proprietary drivers are in use"
The Revert and Apply Changes buttons are both greyed out.
I have never had problems on this computer since installing Mint 17 around 8 months ago.
Any ideas how to get the proprietary drivers working again.
The video is Radeon HD 8370D on a gigabyte motherboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Screen resolution - driver problem

Post by Laurent85 »

How was the proprietary driver installed in the first place ? from Driver Manager or from AMD/ATI ?
Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen resolution - driver problem

Post by Colin66 »

I managed to get the driver choice options selectable again in Driver Manager by installing fglrx with the package manager. It was not installed??
Choosing the recommended ATI driver in Driver Manager seems to remove the fglrx package and nothing is again selectable in Driver Manager. Re-installation of fglrx again gives the selection options in Driver Manager.
I tried all 3 options with re-boots but my resolution is still stuck at 1024x768 at 76 Hz.
I am trying to achieve the 1360x768 that I had before. The monitor I am using is actually a 19 inch TV with a VGA socket and is capable of many different resolutions when using VGA input.
It only reports 1024x768 at 76 Hz with the xrandr -q command though.
I obtained the modeline values for 1360x768 with xrandr but had no success adding a new mode.
I also tried creating a xorg.conf file but it seems to be ignored.
I will have another attempt at fixing it later today.
The irony is that I was planning to remove its wifi dongle and connection to the internet. Its only a spare computer that plays automated chess games. I do not use it for surfing the web and it is loaded up with all the software I need. The only downloads it gets are all the Mint updates which seem to have increased in both frequency and size in the last few months. However before disconnecting I decided to do one more set of Mint updates - my mistake.
Colin66
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Screen resolution - driver problem - SOLVED

Post by Colin66 »

I finally fixed the problem by following the instructions given in this forum post. :)
see viewtopic.php?f=90&t=208358&p=1137292#p1135075

Return to “MATE”