How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

Hello and good morning people! I'm here to ask an easy question, I guess.
First of all, I don't know if all of the themes uses the same installation method (I doubt it), but here I'm lost. :oops:
Today I've downloaded MediterraneanNight (click to see it on GNOME-Look.org) theme (gtk 3.x) to install it on my Linux Mint 17.3 MATE computer, but I couldn't find out how... It's a tar.gz file with lots of folders inside (variations of the theme), which inside have these:

Image

There are more folders inside these folders but, I don't think they're worth to mention (if they are and I'm wrong you can download the theme clicking on the link that I put above and check them).
So, uhm... do anyone know what to do?... :|

Thank you in advance and thank you for your time! :mrgreen:
Image

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by Hoser Rob »

That's a Gnome 3 theme. Mate is not a Gnome 3 based DE. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

Hoser Rob wrote:That's a Gnome 3 theme. Mate is not a Gnome 3 based DE. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Oh, I see. So... what kind of themes can I install? And is there a general guide about installing them? Thank you for the advice Hoser Rob! :mrgreen:
Image

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5987
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:57 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Themes can be a bucket of worms, and I don't have enough experience in Mate to recommend any. Try opening Synaptic, hitting the search button, and enter "mate themes" or something like that. But I do not install any themes that aren't in the repos. Actually I have 2 mint installs and the only things I've put on them that weren't in the repos are HEVC codecs for Splayer and VLC.

User avatar
Joss
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 am
Location: 19th Century Europe

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by Joss »

Under Appearance Preferences/Theme, click Customize. You have so many options I don't think there's need to download anything.

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

Hoser Rob wrote:Themes can be a bucket of worms, and I don't have enough experience in Mate to recommend any. Try opening Synaptic, hitting the search button, and enter "mate themes" or something like that. But I do not install any themes that aren't in the repos. Actually I have 2 mint installs and the only things I've put on them that weren't in the repos are HEVC codecs for Splayer and VLC.
For me, they're a "bucket of worms", heh. I tried the Synaptic thingy but I couldn't find anything in there. Thanks anyways for the help. :mrgreen:
Image

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

Joss wrote:Under Appearance Preferences/Theme, click Customize. You have so many options I don't think there's need to download anything.
There are many themes but, I didn't liked them too much, that's why I'm trying to get a new one. :|
Image

User avatar
Joss
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 am
Location: 19th Century Europe

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by Joss »

amachini wrote:
Joss wrote:There are many themes but, I didn't liked them too much, that's why I'm trying to get a new one. :|
Yes, but did you click Customize? There you can mix controls, colours, window borders from different predefined themes.

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

Joss wrote:
amachini wrote:
Joss wrote:There are many themes but, I didn't liked them too much, that's why I'm trying to get a new one. :|
Yes, but did you click Customize? There you can mix controls, colours, window borders from different predefined themes.
Yep, I did. Actually, I'm using a default theme that I've customized.
The problem is that I wanna instal another theme that I liked a lot, but I don't know how. Thank you for the answer! :P
Image

theStreak
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by theStreak »

I'd recommend installing the MATE themes that, (for whatever mysterious reason), never get installed by default...

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install mate-themes
Then, as mentioned above, customize any one of them to your liking.
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD
________________________________________
Sony VAIO VGN-SR540G / Linux Mint 17.2 / MATE + Compiz

eddier
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by eddier »

Sorry to jump on an dated post. Themes can be installed by placing the theme folder in the .themes (hidden) folder in your 'Home folder' and likewise the .icons (hidden) folder. You will need to Extract to contents first.(Right click and select "Extract here")

Also the Tarball can be dragged onto the Appearance dialog to be installed automatically. Zipped folders do not appear to work this way however.

One gotcha to be aware of-some themes have different folders within the main folder for "Theme_dark, Theme_light etc. It is these folders you must place in the .themes folder

Hope this helps someone.

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

eddier wrote:Sorry to jump on an dated post. Themes can be installed by placing the theme folder in the .themes (hidden) folder in your 'Home folder' and likewise the .icons (hidden) folder. You will need to Extract to contents first.(Right click and select "Extract here")

Also the Tarball can be dragged onto the Appearance dialog to be installed automatically. Zipped folders do not appear to work this way however.

One gotcha to be aware of-some themes have different folders within the main folder for "Theme_dark, Theme_light etc. It is these folders you must place in the .themes folder

Hope this helps someone.
Well, this helps me. Thank you very much!
Image

User avatar
MartinaNeumayer
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

You can also install this from the ppa:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/mediterr ... -full.html

User avatar
amachini
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by amachini »

eMcE wrote:You can also install this from the ppa:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/mediterr ... -full.html
Thanks for the response, but it says that this is for Ubuntu 13.10, 13.04 and 12.10 users. Isn't Linux Mint based on Ubuntu 14 right now? :(
Image

eddier
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:35 pm

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by eddier »

Amachini: Check the Noobslab website http://www.noobslab.com/ They have a great selection of themes and icons and very good previews. Many are installed via a PPA and work very well. That way the installation is done for you rather than mess with Tarballs/Zip files etc.

eddie

User avatar
MartinaNeumayer
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:53 am

Re: How to install "MediterraneanNight" (gtk 3 theme)?

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

amachini wrote:
eMcE wrote:You can also install this from the ppa:
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/06/mediterr ... -full.html
Thanks for the response, but it says that this is for Ubuntu 13.10, 13.04 and 12.10 users. Isn't Linux Mint based on Ubuntu 14 right now? :(
Yes it was made for a bit oldest versions, but there is no problem using it from the Saucy series on 17.3
I installed the theme from it, and when comes some new version on the Gnome-Look, I just copy it in the theme directory overwritting the previous one.
BTW.. This theme seems to be discontinued and the Noobslab version is some fork of the original (but is a bit buggy)

Post Reply

Return to “MATE”