Keyring Password Required with New Browsers-Resolved

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wireaddict

Keyring Password Required with New Browsers-Resolved

Post by Wireaddict »

Please pardon me if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't decide if this or 'Software & Applications' would be the best fit. I installed Vivaldi [browser] & all the updates & since then I have continually been asked for my default keyring password whenever I first visit a password-protected site like this one, Facebook or my email account [I don't get prompted for a keyring password after this when I visit other password-protected sites]. Also, I never had this problem with Opera, my former browser [v12.16], but I have this problem there, too, since I recently upgraded to their newest version [v36.0.2130.46]. I originally thought it was a Vivaldi problem [& submitted a bug report to them, so far to no avail] but I'm not so sure now since the problem appeared with the new version of Opera, too. All I need to do to dismiss this keyring password box is press the "Escape" key but I'd prefer not to see it at all. Possibly I can fix it if I could access "Passwords" from the Menu but I can't find it under Administration, Preferences or anywhere else. I also read here that there was something I could put in the Terminal to disable the keyring password box but it didn't recognize the instructions. I use Mint 17.2 MATE edition. Thanks for your help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Keyring Password Required with New Browsers

Post by Pjotr »

Quick solution: disable automatic login.

If you want to keep automatic login: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... s-annoying
(item 15, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jugan

Re: Keyring Password Required with New Browsers

Post by jugan »

HI Wireaddict,
I had a similar problem with the keyring password. A popup appeared each time I started the computer-LM 17 it is set to remember the last session

Solution:

Menu --> Preferences -->Passwords and Keys click on
Right click on 'Login' --> shows a menu
Left click on 'Delete' - a red X ( this will delete the password)
reboot your computer

go back to
Menu --> Preferences -->Passwords and Keys click on
Right click on 'Login' --> shows a menu
Left click on 'Change Password' --> a pop up box will appear asking for your old password
you have no old password, just hit enter
enter a new Password in the next box, set this to your login or something else
enter it again in the next box
reboot your computer

the keyring password prompt should not appear again
Wireaddict

Re: Keyring Password Required with New Browsers-Resolved

Post by Wireaddict »

Thanks Pjotr. I've already tried both of the things you suggested without success. For some reason "Passwords & Keys" isn't in "Preferences", that was part of the reason I asked for help. Possibly that got corrupted but everything else works fine. However, I tried once more to select "Continue" from the "Keyring Password" box without entering any password & this time it allowed me to, although with a warning that this wouldn't be as secure which I already knew. I'm certain that I tried this several months ago & it wouldn't allow me to continue without entering a valid password which I didn't have but I was able work around it by hitting the Esc key whenever this box appeared. Now, however, I can access password-protected sites without seeing the keyring password box so this issue appears to be resolved. Regards!

Return to “MATE”