"Desktop" is showing my home folders

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdhoigt

"Desktop" is showing my home folders

Post by sdhoigt »

I had a drive fail (not the OS one), and my 'Desktop' directory was gone as part of that failure (I had backups--nothing lost).

While my drive was out Mate/Caja did a sensible thing and switched the desktop to show the contents of my Home since 'Desktop' was no longer.

Now I have a new drive in place and my 'Desktop' directory is back. So how can I tell Caja to go back to displaying the contents of Desktop dir?

FYI. I've dug around the dconf-editor (org>mate>caja>desktop) and ~/.config/caja, but haven't seen anything stand out that holds this setting. I.e., what the Mate desktop should show.

Thanks for reading,
SD
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: "Desktop" is showing my home folders

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:
Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h). Go into the folder .config and open the file user-dirs.dirs.
You find a line saying XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/xxx". In your case xxx is probably missing. xxx should be Desktop. Write Desktop at this place. Log out and back into your account.
sdhoigt

Post by sdhoigt »

Perfect! That was it.

Been using Linux 15 years and still learning. :)

Thanks Cosmo!
ericmarceau
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ericmarceau »

Cosmo's solution is the fix to the same problem encountered on UbuntuMATE 20.04 .

To prevent a repeat of the problem (involving systemd dependencies), you may wish to refer to a preventive solution given as comment/answer to the question posted here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ices-befor .
csandrade87
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csandrade87 »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu May 26, 2016 5:39 am Try this:
Open the file manager and make hidden files visible (ctrl-h). Go into the folder .config and open the file user-dirs.dirs.
You find a line saying XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/xxx". In your case xxx is probably missing. xxx should be Desktop. Write Desktop at this place. Log out and back into your account.
Thanks! It works for me.

Return to “MATE”