Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Post by trytip »

linux/mint/mate/17.3/x64 here and seems that the weather in clock or panel does go to "--" sometimes. first i test it out by adding a panel item and selecting a location to see if temperature activates. in my case i have three locations to choose from and sometimes i have to alternate.

removing the location in your clock, then adding it again will kickstart the weather AFTER logOFF/logON
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Rebooting did the trick...after a strange long-time-no-see 5 green dot booting where suddenly my onboard sound card was not detected. So I shut down the whole thing for 20 minutes and then it booted normally and sound also did. Thanks for the tip in case it happens again, but it hasn't after I rebooted. I gotta say I have to repair my win7 x64 partition and I'm not psyched about it, especially that when tinkering with a large fan I have in the back of my desktop that was making a hell of a noise broke down and now it's easy for the Sensors Applet to get in orange and red territory, because when in Windows, with SpeedFan, an arguably superior program than any available for Linux to control fan speeds would tell me that when in win7 that fan was going insane. Reinstalling Windows, means booting with supergrub into linux and then start Boot-Repair, and I did so much of that when learning to Linux 5-6 years ago that I really don't wanna do it, for now. Not only the fan broke down, but the fact LM started with the dots...and saying there was a problem with ACPI something and seeing my onboard sound card was not there....like I said I turned off the thing for 20 minutes and afterwards it was fine, so your hint will be useful as I will not reboot for any reason until I get that fan and likely the stock cpu fan changed.
LinuxMintLover

Post by LinuxMintLover »

fruitkiller wrote:Right now the temperature app seems to work in the date and hour app, the weather report is giving me a "--" since a good while, but then again I haven't rebooted in 711 hours... So, is this just some update that requires a reboot? I haven't seen a weather app update I'm pretty sure of it, anyway, it's not as annoying when none worked, I wonder why it's working in the calendar app but not in the weather app. Anybody got this going on? (LM 17.3)
Having the same issue here, buddy. Running Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" using MATE desktop. I've been trying to diagnose this for several days without success. I forced kernel 4.4.0.98 over the default kernel version to see if it helped. No soap. :(
Last edited by LinuxMintLover on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

do a system update and reboot.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

LinuxMintLover wrote:
fruitkiller wrote:Right now the temperature app seems to work in the date and hour app, the weather report is giving me a "--" since a good while, but then again I haven't rebooted in 711 hours... So, is this just some update that requires a reboot? I haven't seen a weather app update I'm pretty sure of it, anyway, it's not as annoying when none worked, I wonder why it's working in the calendar app but not in the weather app. Anybody got this going on? (LM 17.3)
Having the same issue here, buddy. Running Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" using MATE desktop. I've been trying to diagnose this for several days without success. I forced kernel 4.4.0.98 over the default kernel version to see if it helped. No soap. :(
Woah, that's an issue from a long time ago. So much that I'm back to using 17.1 for the time being, all kind of strange stuff was happening, worsening to segfaults (memory is fine) of any program that is Qt or KDE that I like. That issue though, corrected itself later on. I'm slowly but surely building up 17.1. The fact I have openGL working since I was able to install my Radeon HD 7850 proprietary driver by making .debs out of the .run file, it worked easily, I'm still kind of concerned with the 38 packages an update I'm ignoring right now, named xorg-server...I'll be ignoring it until I'm sure it won't mess with the amazingly easily updated fglrx with those .debs, didn't even need to reboot, just kill mdm and then startx. I wish you the best of luck, it's the most annoying thing when small things like that just won't cooperate.

Return to “MATE”