Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lando Calrissian

Re: Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Post by Lando Calrissian »

rdh76 wrote:I am running Linux Mint 18 with MATE 1.14.1 so have the Xenial PPA. However, I do not see the upgradeable libmateweather package mentioned in earlier posts. Should I just wait until it gets packaged with an update or is there another method to expedite the upgrade to the mate weather library?
The "Xenial PPA" was referring to a PPA used to upgrade Ubuntu MATE 16.04 to MATE 1.14. Linux Mint 18 users and vanilla Ubuntu MATE 16.04 users have to wait for the update to hit the repos.
reddot

Post by reddot »

i miss my applet, :( hope its pushed fast, i hate to go to web to see how hot it is, i need to know so my pup can go on his "hike" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

reddot wrote:i miss my applet, :( ...
Me too. Never realized I would miss it as much as I have. Funny how you get dependent on simple things.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you want an UNofficial fix (tested in mate 17.3) download my files, backup these two and copy over. you will need to logout or reboot

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1.6.9
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lWxE ... JPOTQ/view

MD5: 3785e1cd80f9d9c347ac07e8367c7e28
rschmidt13

Post by rschmidt13 »

On Linux Mate 14.04 trusty (64 and 32 bit), I got the applet working by downloading, building and installing the latest version of libmateweather from Gihub. In addition to make install, I had to manually replace the .so file in /usr/lib/[x86_64]/[i386]-linux-gnu
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

trytip wrote:if you want an UNofficial fix (tested in mate 17.3) download my files, backup these two and copy over. you will need to logout or reboot

I'm guessing this is for 64-bit Linux Mint Mate. I tried it on my 32-bit Linux Mint Mate 17.1 install and my clock and weather applets disappeared. (Fortunately I backed up my old files and was able to delete the new ones and rename the old ones -- so I'm back to where I was.)

My libmateweather files are located at /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu -- so I guess that means 32-bit.
rschmidt13

Post by rschmidt13 »

I put my 32bit version of the library here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ntKO ... sp=sharing HTH
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

rschmidt13 wrote:I put my 32bit version of the library here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ntKO ... sp=sharing HTH
Seems to be working -- no forecast currently available (that happens sometimes). What I usually do when this happens is change it to a different airport in my area, but Preferences produces a "failed to load locations.xml database" error. So -- currently -- it looks like my only choice is whatever was in there before all . Do I need a new 32-bit libmateweather.so.1 file as well? I tried using the one that came with the 64-bit version (above) but that didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks. It's very nice to see the temperature and current conditions in its old spot. The Radar Map feature is also working.

EDIT: Turns out the Weather Applet wasn't updating at all -- it just gave the one time temperature when I installed the new .so file. If I tried to set locations in the Clock Applet, it would crash the clock and ask if I wanted to restart it. So, I'm guessing (and that's all I can do) that the new file is not pointing to the correct directory in my particular installation. I wonder if there is a different location in Linux Mint Mate 17.1 as opposed to later versions? At any rate, for now I've reverted it all back to how it was. This gives me a new appreciation for all the work that needs to be done for maintaining multiple versions of Linux Mint.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i checked the weather against the yahoo weather and it's up to date.

if you have 32bit i have no clue where they go i don't know where they go of if they will work. best guess is search for the name of the files and try there. of course a backup is always necessary if you gonna replace files don't think i have to even mention that.

regret they don't work for 32bit and the new service is without forecast. i didn't develop these files just found them in other distro repo (pclinuxos) so thanx to them :wink:
Last edited by trytip on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

trytip wrote:regret they don't work for 32bit and the new service is without forecast
Nothing to regret. I appreciate your post -- I've used your files for my 64-bit, 17.3 Linux Mint Mate laptop and works both in the clock and in the panel applet. Since I found out that the Forecast feature is not currently implemented, I reinstalled the 32-bit file rschmidt13 supplied -- I'll see if it updates. Maybe it's waiting for information from the weather service and will only update when it gets it.

I hope the Forecast comes back -- if not, I can go to weather.gov, then to the forecast feature (upper left corner, enter my zip code) then save that page to my desktop. So I'll still get the same weather forecast I used to get, just an extra step.

Anyhow, thanks to you and rschimidt13. Now I have a temperature displayed on my desktop again.

EDIT: Saving the forecast page just gives me a static snapshot. But I can still get to the forecast (the same one we used to get) fairly quickly.

Sorry for rambling.

2nd EDIT (update): Weather applet is updating fine -- even though I still get the "Location.xml file can't be found" error. Very happy to have my temperature and weather conditions displaying again. Thank you.
rschmidt13

Post by rschmidt13 »

I think the problem with the locations.xml database has to do with the new library version. If you do a full installation from source code, a number of files are installed, which I think are required by libmateweather to load the different locations. Copying over just the .so seems to be only a partial installation. The location database will probably be included with the official installation packages. Unfortunately, I do not know a workaround for this.
rcentros
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcentros »

rschmidt13 wrote:I think the problem with the locations.xml database has to do with the new library version. If you do a full installation from source code, a number of files are installed, which I think are required by libmateweather to load the different locations. Copying over just the .so seems to be only a partial installation. The location database will probably be included with the official installation packages. Unfortunately, I do not know a workaround for this.
Not a big deal. If I want to change the location, I can switch out to the old .so file then change the location, then switch it back to the new .so file to get the temperature and conditions to display again. I thank you for the file. Everything is working fine.
TursonX
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TursonX »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o
:( :oops: :roll: :?:

The libmateweather... files (of trytip) works to me (LM 17.3 Mate, replacing them through root attributes).
But after Restart, I had to adding the Clock again to bottom bar panel, and setting there the weather of local city.

Thanks!
LM 18 Mate x64 » kernel 4.4.0-165-generic » MSI 760GM-P34 » video onboard Ati Radeon HD 3000 » AMD Athlon II X2 240 » 4GB RAM ddr3 hynix » HDD WD Sata II
leo.smith
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leo.smith »

trytip wrote:if you want an UNofficial fix (tested in mate 17.3) download my files, backup these two and copy over. you will need to logout or reboot

Worked for me, where for some reason recompiling the binary library from patched source did not

Ta mate.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

sorry guys didn't think to include the xml geographical locations, here they are. since my location didn't change i just assumed it would work with the old one, but after testing a few locations i saw i got a blank. it's complete now but i have no clue how to make it a .deb file so i just copied the most important parts

here are the complete files with xml locations (had to compress each one by hand)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lWxE ... NUNGs/view
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Post by RobertLM78 »

Here is how to fix this, no matter your version of Mint (I'm still running 13, for the moment)

Enable sources downloading in APT. You can do this in the System / Administration / Software and Updates dialog, by checking the Source code item in the Ubuntu software tab. You can also enable them in the /etc/apt/sources.list file.
Using the MATE Terminal (or any other terminal program or directly in the Linux console), create a temporary directory where you can compile the libmateweather sources (for example, mkdir newlibmateweather) then change to that directory (cd newlibmateweather).
Download the sources of libmateweather (apt-get source libmateweather), note this does not require to use sudo).
Install the dependencies required to build the package (sudo apt-get build-dep libmateweather). Also install the fakeroot package (sudo apt-get install fakeroot).
Edit the ./libmateweather-1.12.1/libmateweather/weather-metar.c file, changing the following lines:
At line 525, change "National Weather Service" to "AVIATION WEATHER CENTER"
At line 553, change "http://weather.noaa.gov/mgetmetar.php" to "http://aviationweather.gov/metar/data"
At line 554, change "cccc" to "ids"
Change to the library source directory (cd libmateweather-1.12.1/).
Create .deb packages (dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b). This may take a while. At the end you will find several .deb files in the parent directory according to the architecture of your computer (for example, in mine, that created libmateweather1_1.12.1-1_amd64.deb, libmateweather1-dbg_1.12.1-1_amd64.deb, libmateweather-common_1.12.1-1_all.deb and libmateweather-dev_1.12.1-1_amd64.deb.
Install the main lib package you just compiled (sudo dpkg -i libmateweather1_1.12.1-1_amd64.deb).
You may need to restart the applet(s) or the whole panel or remove it and then add it or logout and login again.

Source of this fix:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/817083/m ... t-working
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

RobertLM78,

Thanks a lot for the solution. I really missed that little applet :D
ginorosi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ginorosi »

Thanks works for me , Linux Mint 17.3
Linux Mint 19.3 Mate 64
Bob63

Post by Bob63 »

FWIW, I had a similar problem (weather info froze in the month of August) in the weather plug-in for the gkrellm system monitor. After doing some research, I found that the gkrellm weather plug-in used a perl script to fetch the weather info from the US National Weather Service's FTP site. Reading over the script let me see where it was fetching the data from. In short, the NWS FTP site has moved to a new address. Putting the new address into the perl script, saving, then doing a kill/restart on gkrellm gave me back my weather.

For those not familiar with gkrellm, it is a multifunction system monitor available in the repos. I originally came across it while looking for some sort of applet that could tell me what my keyboard status was, as my keyboard does not have LEDs -- but I have cats that like to walk on my keybard. :lol: In addition to weather, there are a number of built-ins and plug-ins to provide info about the system and control some of the functions. The weather plug-in in particular provides (in this case) the NWS METAR report from my local weather station, displaying temp and relative humidity "out of the box", and hovering the mouse pointer over that display opens a tool tip-type window with the entire METAR report.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

MD5: 3785e1cd80f9d9c347ac07e8367c7e28
I've got LM 17.3 x64 and nothing has changed, just the litle too minus signs or whatever. Hmm..

Return to “MATE”