Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ostracized
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Weather Applet (Weather Report 1.8.1) Dead?

Post by ostracized » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:44 pm

@rcentros

You should listen to the latest Ubuntu podcast today. Wimpress and company mentioned the NOAA metar aviation data was officially "discontinued" 5 years ago :lol: but apparently it kept running until it did.

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:57 pm

ostracized wrote:@rcentros

You should listen to the latest Ubuntu podcast today. Wimpress and company mentioned the NOAA metar aviation data was officially "discontinued" 5 years ago :lol: but apparently it kept running until it did.
Weird. The strange thing is, all the information is still there -- in the same (displayed) format -- at weather.gov and forecast.weather.gov. I guess what's changed is how they format it for download.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:25 pm

here the files again, some of my links went dead
sorry guys didn't think to include the xml geographical locations, here they are. since my location didn't change i just assumed it would work with the old one, but after testing a few locations i saw i got a blank. it's complete now but i have no clue how to make it a .deb file so i just copied the most important parts
here are the complete files with xml locations (had to compress each one by hand)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lWxE ... NUNGs/view
@rcentros did you say that updating libgweather broke things? i left it alone. that's gnome weather

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 am

trytip wrote:@rcentros did you say that updating libgweather broke things? i left it alone. that's gnome weather
No, updating libgweather was fine (worked fine on my laptop) -- My mistake was that I thought it had updated libmateweather instead and I started messing with libmateweather it to get it to "work" (i.e., find locations). I have no idea how I totally deleted the applet to the point where I can't even find it to add to the panel any more, but I messed it up good. As mentioned I even lost the Mate Panel until I reinstalled it.

Updating libgweather should give you no problems at all.

I've still got your files, by the way, and I had the libmateweather directory backed up -- but it simply doesn't show up in the "Add to Panel" list anymore. Somehow I deleted it from there. Not sure how.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:57 pm

wow never tried the weather applet until today very nice and minimal, it would be even nicer if it was embedded into clock applet. nice to know i can see the temperature outside in clock applet again!! woot!

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:02 pm

it is embedded into the clock. rightclick your clock/preferences and enable show temperature and weather. then you can remove the panel icon you added.

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

i cant seem to access the features of weather applet in clock applet (windows below)... i can only see the temperature which is fine, i do love the info weather applet offers tho. or how do i access this info for weather without the weather applet? using only clock?

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:30 pm

i love the clock applet!!!

ostracized
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ostracized » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:51 pm

Cigar boys. It's fixed now. Go download. :)
fixfinal.png

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:39 pm

awesome friday we got are weather applet back! i had to reboot so i can see the changes in clock applet.

clock applet does show a bit of info on weather hover over the tempareture

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:44 pm

ostracized wrote:Cigar boys. It's fixed now. Go download. :)

fixfinal.png
Not yet available for 17.1?

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:03 pm

I am using
RELEASE=17
CODENAME=qiana
EDITION="MATE 64-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"
DESKTOP=MATE

Had to run the following and the weather apt worked from the right click of the clock choose preference and I now have the weather temp

Or you can right click the panel and choose add to panel find you weather there also. I like the clock one.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get upgrade
I rebooted not sure you have to

but with all the changes I always reboot.

When I saw the temp on the panel I smiled with pleasure.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 18 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Hamilton Ontario

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:16 pm

ibbill wrote:Or you can right click the panel and choose add to panel find you weather there also. I like the clock one.
The problem is Weather Report is no longer showing up in the "Add to Panel" list. I guess I did something to lose it. Not sure what. Not sure how to get it back. My system is 32 bit, so that might also have something to do with it. I ran the Update (as instructed) but not the Upgrade, because I think that would move me to Mint Mate 17.3? Not sure I'm ready for that. Didn't see anything in the Update list for libmateweather.

Going to preferences in the Clock still shuts down the Clock and my only choice is to Reload it.

Update: I've got two old Latitude D400s, one running Linux Mint Mate 13, the other Linux Mint Mate 17.1 (like my desktop). I updated both (I don't turn them on very often) and neither showed libmateweather updates. The 64-bit laptop is working -- but I don't know if that's from the fix I downloaded a while back, or from a new update from today. (It was already working.) That laptop is running Linux Mint Mate 17.3, 64-bit. I'm guessing the fix isn't available (yet?) for 32-bit systems.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:42 pm

thanx to the mint/mate team for getting the weather working again Image

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 pm

Does anyone know where I can find the libmateweather applet and how I can get it on my panel. I don't mind doing the work, but I don't know where to start. I just normally right-click on the Panel and it's available.

Thanks for any pointers.

zorzi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zorzi » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:47 am

This new all-in-one clock/weather is great.

You have to left-click on the date/time, and then choose your location.
Desktop: HP Pavilion a6435 (Athlon64 2x 2,6Ghz, Radeon R7-240, Ram 4 Go, HD 500 Go) / Debian Stretch (XFCE)
Laptop: Packard-Bell EasyNote G1320 (Celeron 1,3 Ghz, ATI Mobility Radeon 9100 IGP, Ram 1,2 Go, HD 40 Go) / Debian Stretch

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:04 am

rcentros wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the libmateweather applet and how I can get it on my panel. I don't mind doing the work, but I don't know where to start. I just normally right-click on the Panel and it's available.

Thanks for any pointers.
did you compile anything? i see there are instructions on how to get weather back, if you compiled anything with the applet you should try reinstalling the app. i had this problem when i wanted to make changes to mate panel and in the process lost allot of applets.

rcentros
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rcentros » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:04 am

reddot wrote:
rcentros wrote:Does anyone know where I can find the libmateweather applet and how I can get it on my panel. I don't mind doing the work, but I don't know where to start. I just normally right-click on the Panel and it's available.

Thanks for any pointers.
did you compile anything? i see there are instructions on how to get weather back, if you compiled anything with the applet you should try reinstalling the app. i had this problem when i wanted to make changes to mate panel and in the process lost allot of applets.
No, I finally figured it out. When I lost my Mate Panel -- by uninstalling libmateweather? -- I lost the applets (at least some of them, apparently). I tried moving them over from my laptop (running the same version of Linux Mint Mate -- 17.1, 32-bit), and the Weather Report applet showed up, but it still wouldn't install (or at least it wouldn't show up). Then I just started searching in Synaptics for "weather" and looking for files numbered 1.8.1 -- which lead me to "mate-applets." Once I installed that, everything came up right away. I had actually installed libmateweather about fifteen times on the panel, I just couldn't see it. Now everything is working on the 32-bit, Mint Mate 17.1 desktop and laptop and on the Mint Mate 17.3 laptop. Libmateweather is not working on the old Mint Mate 13 laptop, but I'm guessing that one may never come back.

Now I'm wondering what else I might have deleted when the Mate Panel was uninstalled? (I guess I'll figure that out as I go.)

Anyhow, very happy to have a fully working Weather Report applet in my Panel. Thank you Linux Mint developers.

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Pierre » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:23 am

trytip wrote:thanx to the mint/mate team for getting the weather working again Image
the recent update "libmateweather1" seems to have fixed this issue.
- for those who didn't use the above weather alternative.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

fruitkiller
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fruitkiller » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:35 pm

fruitkiller wrote:
trytip wrote:if you want an UNofficial fix (tested in mate 17.3) download my files, backup these two and copy over. you will need to logout or reboot

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libmateweather.so.1.6.9
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8lWxE ... JPOTQ/view

MD5: 3785e1cd80f9d9c347ac07e8367c7e28
I've got LM 17.3 x64 and nothing has changed, just the litle too minus signs or whatever. Hmm..
libmateweather had updates yesterday and the day before that even. But it's still not showing up (I have had a 64 bit desktop since AMD surpassed Intel back in 2004-2008 with their AMD64 chip series which was incredibly cheaper than the Intel Xeon, I still stick to AMD now, my FX-8350 Black Edition 4ghz octocore is amazing, something similar if I went for an Intel chip, would have cost me 300 dollars more...anyway), I don't know if the updates removed that work-around or not and if I should delete the files and put back the .bk files as the official ones? Date accessed says they were accessed yesterday (23rd) and the 24th, which jives with with the recent official updates. I did not reboot or turn off my desktop since. I'll reboot later and see.

Return to “MATE”