Missing desktop icons SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
michellebrooks
Level 2
Level 2

Missing desktop icons SOLVED

Post by michellebrooks »

Hi All,

Just got a new computer and I am LOVING this OS! It runs SO much better than on my crappy old HP. Things are running lighting fast and working really well.

As I was configuring the new installation, I was playing around with the desktop animation and other tweaks. In doing this, I have noticed a couple of changes that I have questions about and hope someone can help.

1. When I use the animation effects, the menu pops up above the bottom panel bar. Removing the animation restored this. Is there any way to keep the menu flush with the bottom panel using the window animation features?

2. When these changes were made, I lost my desktop icons. These however they never returned to normal when I changed the settings back to the default install settings. They will reappear when I open the menu and click the "Home Folder" from the menu but will not show up otherwise unless I click that folder. Can this be fixed without having to reinstall the OS? The install was difficult as I had to install from a USB drive as this laptop does not have a cd or dvd drive. I had to change the BIOS setting from Legacy to the EU... something in order to see the USB at boot. That is a conversation for another thread though. lol.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Missing desktop icons

Post by ibbill »

I lost my desktop icons just rebooted they were back.

Also you may want to click on system>> performance >>> desktop settings and make sure the ones you want are checked.

Not sure if this is what needs to be done just a thought.
michellebrooks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by michellebrooks »

ibbill wrote:I lost my desktop icons just rebooted they were back.

Also you may want to click on system>> performance >>> desktop settings and make sure the ones you want are checked.

Not sure if this is what needs to be done just a thought.
Thanks, Yes, I tried that. Still nothing until I go to Menu ->Home Folder. As soon as i open that they show up otherwise they never show up. Kooky lol
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

oops double post see post below sorry about that.
Last edited by ibbill on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Try unchecking them and rechecking them first. Not sure what tweaks you also did.

Check this thread out seems to have a fix for your problem.
https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... top-icons/

Under the references: url check the second one out first seems to be the easiest.
michellebrooks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by michellebrooks »

ibbill wrote:Try unchecking them and rechecking them first. Not sure what tweaks you also did.

Check this thread out seems to have a fix for your problem.
https://linuxnorth.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... top-icons/

Under the references: url check the second one out first seems to be the easiest.
That did it!!!! Thank You ibbill!!! :D
ibbill

Re: Missing desktop icons SOLVED

Post by ibbill »

michellebrooks I'm so happy for you. You did a great job.
Enjoy your computer
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu »

caja -n
KevinO

Post by KevinO »

Give this a try if the other options don't work for you:
1. Open "Session and Startup"