File Manager gets stuck in Panel Mate 18.0

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

File Manager gets stuck in Panel Mate 18.0

Post by pcpunk »

Has anyone else experienced the File Manager getting stuck in Panel when Minimized, I've experienced this on two computers now. I wonder if this was fixed in 18.1?

Also, don't like the way Wallpapers and or Screensavers are set. Where should I post stuff like this "Suggestions & New Ideas"?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: File Manager gets stuck in Panel Mate 18.0

Post by pcpunk »

Sorry for repeating this, but this is the Thread that I wanted to keep this going in. No matter what I do I keep getting this problem. With every Install, whether it be a laptop or desktop, live session or installed, Install media created with UUI and Rufus, they all have the same problem. Already spent lot's of time with this, and will look for a way to log a bug report but don't have lots of time or skills to do so. I have one linux mint customer, and his laptop seems to have outgrown this issue for some reason, but it did have it to start with.

Maybe someone could link me to directions to post a bug report for Mint?

Thanks, pc
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Where to post problems/bug reports with Mate?
Here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues

Thanks, pc
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Really, Nothing?

I cannot be the only one that this is happening too.

I posted a bug report.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Nobody else experiencing this?

I really miss installing Mate to any old Vista pc's and some other newer pc's, but now cannot install the 18 Series due to this problem. I have now relegated myself to ONLY Installing Xfce because it don't have any blatant quarks like Mate 18 Series does.

The only Mate 18 Series I have Installed is to help one customer if needed, other than that it would be uninstalled. I've tried everything I can think of to make this thing work. Multiple iso's download and checked, multiple USB Creators used, multiple computers used etc.

I'm still perplexed that no one else is having this problem, or is not admitting to having it? It seems to me Mate is somewhat of a Flagship for Mint, and so they would want it to be as good as possible.

Thanks, pcpunk
Super Clean Runs Perfect
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

File Manager getting stuck in Panel when Minimized
are you using Caja?
what do you mean by "getting stuck"? It should be showing in the window list until it is closed.

(I did not see your bug report if you made one)

BTW: Mate is not a "flagship" for Mint... that would be Cinnamon, their own creation.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Right click the file manager in the panel make sure its not locked. Only reason I can think of.

Been using mate for many years never had that problem.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i'm still using mate 17.3 and when support goes dead i hope mate 19 if it comes out it doesn't have flaws. i'm experiencing issues sometimes with panel being not clickable but all i do is hit ctrl+back space which logs me out then log in. the only thing i can suggest if you still have issues (i see the OP from jan,2017 that's a long time) change the window manager in control center > desktop settings > windows > window manager > try marco+compton or compiz then log out or reboot
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

sdibaja wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm
File Manager getting stuck in Panel when Minimized
are you using Caja?
what do you mean by "getting stuck"? It should be showing in the window list until it is closed.
I'm using whatever the default is.

If I open the File Manager to something like my USB Flash Drive, then Minimize it, Open and Close the Menu, and then Try to Maximize the File Manager it get's stuck in the Panel, it won't open. It then needs to be Right Clicked "Close" to start over. Major flaw with no answers.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

trytip wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 pm i'm still using mate 17.3 and when support goes dead i hope mate 19 if it comes out it doesn't have flaws.

the only thing i can suggest if you still have issues (i see the OP from jan,2017 that's a long time) change the window manager in control center > desktop settings > windows > window manager > try marco+compton or compiz then log out or reboot
I don't see this issue in Mate 19, but Mate 19 has too much Screen Tearing while Scrolling in Firefox, is there are fix for that?

I will try the Compiz thing one day but I'm kinda over it now, spent way too much time messing with it. For me, won't even bother with Mate 18 anymore.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

pcpunk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:32 am
trytip wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 pm i'm still using mate 17.3 and when support goes dead i hope mate 19 if it comes out it doesn't have flaws.
the only thing i can suggest if you still have issues (i see the OP from jan,2017 that's a long time) change the window manager in control center > desktop settings > windows > window manager > try marco+compton or compiz then log out or reboot
I don't see this issue in Mate 19, but Mate 19 has too much Screen Tearing while Scrolling in Firefox, is there are fix for that?
I will try the Compiz thing one day but I'm kinda over it now, spent way too much time messing with it. For me, won't even bother with Mate 18 anymore.
try marco+compton, i gave up of firefox when it became quantum. are you using any graphic drivers ? is it tearing with chrome ? https://ptpb.pw/K8Vr.webm <<<test
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Sorry trytip, I tried everything suggested at the time. Concerning Screen Tearing, it happens on every pc I've tried it on and with all these other issues I won't bother anymore. I've been stupid enough to try and get all this stuff working with no good documentation and wasted hours of my time. Time is just to precious these days. I made the mistake of installing this on a customers computer and regret it. His Epson Wifi Scanner won't work after hours of manipulating config files etc. Then I noticed that the File Manager was getting stuck in the Panel and nobody else was having the issue seemingly? But I had it on every computer, and I mean on every computer I ran Mate on, Live or installed, so it was very frustrating. No more, I won't go back to mate until someone confirms that it is all fixed. I won't even bother to download and test it, that's how many hours upon hours I've wasted, not a minute more will I spend.

Thanks for the input.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

pcpunk wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:48 pm But I had it on every computer, and I mean on every computer I ran Mate on, Live or installed, so it was very frustrating.
Hi pcpunk.

By any chance, did you do all these installs from the same .iso? Your statement above makes me suspect your install medium might be the cause of your issues.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Different iso's, different versions, all sha256 verified, all different computers etc. etc. etc.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

WOW. Sorry you had such troubles!

I see from your other thread you're coming home to Xfce. Good choice. :)
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Well yeah, for some of these old Vista pc's I like to refurbish. Otherwise I'm a KDE 17 series guy.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

inxi -Fxzd don't even know what drivers are loaded or what desktop using now. i only have experience with nvidia drivers
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I've got nowhere with this issue and coming back because I like Mate so much!

Where the hell do I post a bug report???

Seems like I used launchpad, but don't see my post there now. I know I used github, but that don't even look to be a bug report site, well kinda does, but kinda doesn't.
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/860

This is a huge issue and I cannot believe that more folks don't shout out about it. I've tried this with multiple iso's all verified, on different computers, over years of time, really, why is there not more folks shouting about this? I've tried it on Intel, AMD, Laptops, Desktops, AIO's, Nvidia etc. really really really! I have seen a few folks talk about it but not as many as I would expect.

I will try here now, wasting more precious time?
https://github.com/linuxmint/linuxmint/issues
Super Clean Runs Perfect
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I see you are getting lots of personal assistance over on
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/860.
stick with it, they are all great

BTW: you do seem to be unique with this issue, best of luck.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Yes, things are looking up in this aspect! I really want to start using Mate again!
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “MATE”