make mate-panel --reset permanent? Prevent doubling?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Mechphisto

make mate-panel --reset permanent? Prevent doubling?

Post by Mechphisto »

Linux Mint 18.1 64bit with Mate, and starting a couple weeks ago, whenever I reboot, the desktop restarts with everything on the task bar doubled:
Two clocks, two Menu buttons, two sets of status panels, etc.

I found if I run

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
in terminal, it gets rid of the duplications (and naturally resets the clock to 24-hour format).

That's ok, I can do that each time, but it's annoying. Is there a way to figure out why it keeps doubling and how to stop it?

I don't know what triggered it starting after about a year of being fine. (It used to do it before! But for the life of me I can't recall what fixed it. I seem to recall it just stopped on its own maybe.) I think it started doing it after I tried (unsuccessfully) to install XFCE as a desktop option (that's its own nightmare issue).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: make mate-panel --reset permanent? Prevent doubling?

Post by ibbill »

Next time there are double icons right click on the extra icon and choose remove from panel.

Just a thought.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: make mate-panel --reset permanent? Prevent doubling?

Post by all41 »

Perhaps there are two panels overlapping. Next time right click the panel and choose 'Delete This Panel'. This option will not be active if there is only one panel.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “MATE”