How to use a different Wallpaper Manager on MATE? (Like Nitrogen)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dcihon

How to use a different Wallpaper Manager on MATE? (Like Nitrogen)

Post by dcihon »

Is there a way to use a different Wallpaper manager in MATE?
Such as Nitrogen.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to use a different Wallpaper Manager on MATE? (Like Nitrogen)

Post by xenopeek »

Googling "mate nitrogen" turns up stuff like https://freedompenguin.com/articles/jus ... e-desktop/. Perhaps that is helpful?

It's probably a good idea to describe what you need a different wallpaper manager for—what you can't currently do. If you need a wallpaper changer, I'd go with Variety Wallpaper Changer.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

+1 for Variety. It is an excellent program.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

I am using Variety with MATE but what I want to do is have different wallpapers rotating on each Monitor. Right now the same wallpaper shows up on both monitors.
When the wallpaper changer was broke I was able to use feh and crontab with a script file to do this.
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

Same problem here:
- I am using three displays
- This doesn't work for me: https://freedompenguin.com/articles/jus ... e-desktop/ (it still behaves like it is described in italic at the top)
- Variety does not support multiple displays
- org.mate[.desktop].background > draw-background doesn't change anything

The background does not change when using either

Code: Select all

nitrogen
or

Code: Select all

feh
. Those are the only tools I have found, that support multiple displays.

Interesting things:
- as described in the linked article, I sometimes can see the modified wallpapers blinking shortly
- the workspace switcher widget from cairo dock does shows miniature representations of the changed wallpapers
- sometimes it works, but mostly not - for no apparent reason
nsk7even

Post by nsk7even »

Thank you, this works!

(this is an awful application though, needs a lot of trial and error to find out how it works, does not support symlinks, does not see my /mnt directory ..... and it has an ugly interface, including stupid localization - but it works!)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

nsk7even wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:38 pm
Thank you, this works!

(this is an awful application though, needs a lot of trial and error to find out how it works, does not support symlinks, does not see my /mnt directory ..... and it has an ugly interface, including stupid localization - but it works!)
You're welcome. Some of the complications like not seeing /mnt are possibly because it's being distributed as a flatpak and the sandboxing that entails. I never used it myself (nor am I using flatpaks) so not sure.

Return to “MATE”