Mint 18.1 slow-crashes SOLVED

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking1au
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 18.1 slow-crashes SOLVED

Post by viking1au »

Have been using Mint 18.1 Serena (mate) for some months. - A couple of niggles: first, it is somewhat slower than the old 17.1 on opening. - Sometimes it seems to lock up on opening & needs a hard reset, to get it past the opening 'Asus' screen.
With this version, I also note the following: somewhere in the middle of boot up I also get a full screen flash of the NVIDIA logo. - Is that a new thing? - Never had it before. - All in all, VERY slow, using all my old, fast 'n' familiar hardware. I also notice on opening, the Plymouth logo seems larger than usual, and a bit shaggy in resolution.
Then there are situations I have had constantly with this, and the last few versions of Linux Mate, and that is constant crashing when on Youtube, especially when downloading. More so on Maximised screen. - Whenever it does this, the mouse also freezes, so I can not even use it to do a 'force quit'. - I always have to hit the reset button as not even soft boot alt--Ctrl---Del will work. ,-- I have only ever noticed this problem in Linux, although it is rare for me to go near a Windose machine. - I wonder if this latter problem is Youtube, or the downloader, (not always in use), or Firefox itself? -- It is frequent, an a big annoyance!
Do I live with it & hope it all goes away with the next version of mate, and when is that likely? It has been a prob over the last few years, and a few versions of Mint.
MACHINE DETAILS:
CPU: AMD A6 5400K

Linux Mint 18.1, Serena (mate, 64 bit)

Kernel Linux 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64

HDD: Recent W.D. 1Tb. (691 Gb free)

Memory: 8 Gb.

Graphics Card: Asus GEForce GT 730, 2 GB. (seems to run at 32 C temperature.)

Graphics Driver: NVIDIA 375-(recommended.)

Browser: Firefox 54, (64 bit, for Linux.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking1au
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 18.1 slow-crashes SOLVED

Post by viking1au »

Owing to zero response, it seems time to start looking for a new Motherboard, & take it a step at the time, to eliminate hardware gremlins, then look at fresh software.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "viking1au",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Sorry that you did not get a response to this. That is unusual. If you do not get a response, try adding another comment to your post.

This locking up during downloading a YouTube video in Firefox is not a Linux Mint issue, but something else. Which FF addon is it? Are you using the excellent Firejail sandboxing application? Have you tried another add-on and disabling this one?

Why aren't you using "YouTube-DL" (console terminal) and or its related desktop application "YouTube-DLG"? some people recommend CLipGrab too.

Have you tried another browser like Google Chrome or Opera?

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
viking1au
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viking1au »

Not sure bout this: "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt.. Rarely touch the terminal. - Not so sure what to do with it. - Need classes on this, but none anywhere near where I live.
Likewise, never heard of Youtube DL OR DLG. - likewise Clipgrab, Nor the sandboxing, nor the answer to the FF addon.
Have tried Chrome & Opera; do not like them.
Took computer to and 'expert' who first tried to tell me my Asus board is only designed for Windows. - I suggested if this were the case there would be tens of thousands of Linux users out there slamming Asus M.B.'s. Left it with him for 3 days for a 'pressure test' of Main board, CPU, Ram chips, power supply & hard drive. After 3 days he claims all 100%, so I asked him if it could be keyboard or wizz bang flashy transparent mouse, that flashes all these colours all the time. - On close examination of the mouse it was obvious this was the culprit. - Lots of tiny, seemingly ionised particles inside it. - $14.00 for a new (non flashing) Microsoft mouse & all is well. - Computer has been on for about 5 hours now, without a glitch. Teaches me a basic hardware lesson.
I noticed they got into the system through the menu somehow to find if the computer would give a crash report. - Not sure what they found, or where they found it, but after 3 days, the 'box' overall was declared clean.
More time in the company of good techs could be a good thing, but not too many around here. -- Rgds.
viking1au
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viking1au »

As a 'final' on this subject, although the mother board had been given a clean bill of health, it finally died. It seems it had suffered approx 20 too many rather solid & sudden power outages & surges. So, this is a fresh(?) second hand computer (intel i5 with 8gb ram), running off a just acquired UPS unit, both of which I will continue with after my prime computer is re-built. - With such gremlins as can destroy motherboards, it seems a wise idea to keep a spare computer, and an UPS. -- Regards to all.

Return to “MATE”