Recovering from mate-panel + Caja crash

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Minterator

Recovering from mate-panel + Caja crash

Post by Minterator »

It happens when accessing network shares in Caja. The Mate panel disappears, caja crashes and there is no way to interact with the OS.

Is there a command that will restart the panel and whatever else has crashed?

I'm not good at memorizing techno-trivia so I thought I'd put a launcher on the Desktop that calls a Bash script which will restart everything. So next time MATE crashes I'll just double-click the launcher and hopefully that works.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Recovering from mate-panel + Caja crash

Post by Monsta »

But if "caja crashes and there is no way to interact with the OS", then you won't be able to click on the launcher too... It probably won't even be on the desktop at that time, as the desktop is managed by Caja.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

You're probably right. How about this command from the Startup apps?

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/mate-panel-compiz-restart
... provided Alt+F1/F2 still works.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

same here...i got my desktop with no icons, and nothing else to work with... i am regretting very much about having made the upgrade.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

This is happening often enough that I'm starting to figure it out.

Caja crashes and the rest of the system becomes invisible, although everything continues to run in the background. Alt-Tab shows running apps but cannot activate them. MintMenu & Panel are invisible, but still there so if you can click blindly you can open/close apps. Alt-F1 pops the menu, but apps either won't start or they start invisible, you can see them in Alt-Tab and if you hover over the invisible Panel the tooltips show the app's name. Finally, Ctrl+Alt+Del works but the dialog is invisible, so you can blindly shut down the system without having to press the reset button... unless you have running VMs. Somebody fix this please.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

SOmebody fix what? You have provided almost no useful info to go on. Try starting with system info ... copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
And BTW do not EVER hit the hardware reset button while running Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”