Mate 18.2 panel text white

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Mate 18.2 panel text white

Post by vistad »

I like dark backgrounds and therefore need white text on the panel. The file ~/.gtkrc-2.0 does not work any more. I did some search on where the color settings are, and found a file /usr/share/themes/[theme name]/gtk-2.0/gtkrc, the comment says: # These are the defined colors for the theme, you can change them in GNOME's appearance preferences.

AFAIU GNOME's appearance preferences does not exist. You can sudo apt install gtk-theme-config, but it did not work for me.

Guys, let's find the way to turn panel text white! Thanks everybody in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint Mate 21.2 64, fanless box with passive cooling
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mate 18.2 panel text white

Post by caz »

Same problem here, my .gtkrc-2.0 also appears to be dead after upgrading 18.2. Now I have on idea what the time is :shock:

It's not that bad really but it is a tad annoying. I will keep an eye on this thread for a fix, or if I find one I will post it here.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
dlguild
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dlguild »

I found a solution which worked for me here: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/507

Create a file named gtk.css containing the following code and place the file in /home/<your home directory>/.config/gtk-3.0/

Code: Select all

panel-toplevel.background.horizontal,
.mate-panel-menu-bar,
#clock-applet-button,
#clock-applet-button:hover  {
	color: white;
}
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

[quote="dlguild"]I found a solution which worked for me here: https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-panel/issues/507

Hi dlguild, thanks a million, you've found the solution that really works in systray! However taskbar buttons text is still black. To make it white, add another directive after that:

Code: Select all

panel-toplevel.background.horizontal,
.mate-panel-menu-bar,
#clock-applet-button,
#clock-applet-button:hover  {
}
#tasklist-button {
}
gene

Re: [SOLVED] Mate 18.2 panel text white

Post by gene »

To change the caja side-panel colour in LM18.2 Mate
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. go to:

file system > usr > share > themes > Mint-X >
gtk-3.0 > apps > mate-application.css

2. open mate-application.css 'as administrator'.

3. go to the following 3 lines of code:

@define-color caja_sidebar_bg #505050;
@define-color caja_sidebar_fg #fff;
@define-color caja_sidebar_selected_fg #fff;

then change:

(in first line) #505050 to #f0f0f0 / or your choice
(in second line) #fff to #212121 / or your choice
(in third line) leave unchanged

The first line above changes side-panel background colour.
The second line above changes the unselected-text-colour in that side-panel.
I have not played with the third line above.

4. restart caja or restart computer to see changes.

cheers G
Last edited by gene on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

Hello @gene,

thank you for the very valuable input!!!
:)
vistad
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vistad »

Hi guys,

unfortunately, we have a problem. When you make the panel text white in the method I described, you get the panel text white all right! But if you open System Tools / Log File Viewer - you can not see the left column containing Date and Time info, because its text is white and it is invisible on the white background. Let's find a solution to this issue!
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

You can change anything in 17.3 using gnome-color-chooser, but not since 18.2. Also there's no control of background color, so you're stuck with bright white everywhere which hurts the eyes. There is no easy fix short of creating a new theme, which is what I did: viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647
Last edited by Minterator on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Minterator wrote:You can change anything in 17.3 using gnome-color-chooser, but not since 18.2. Also there's no control of background color, so you're stuck with bright white everywhere which hurts the eyes. There is no easy fix short of of creating a new theme, which is what I did: viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647
One another way is to edit /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mint-artwork-mate.gschema.override file, changing the color code.
color-codes.png
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

administrollaattori wrote:
Minterator wrote:You can change anything in 17.3 using gnome-color-chooser, but not since 18.2. Also there's no control of background color, so you're stuck with bright white everywhere which hurts the eyes. There is no easy fix short of of creating a new theme, which is what I did: viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647
One another way is to edit /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/mint-artwork-mate.gschema.override file, changing the color code.
color-codes.png
The theme that comes with MATE 18.2 looks very dated, has a 1980s look, so I didn't bother tweaking it.

Have you tried my c-6-theme (link above)? You can customize it by editing “metacity-theme-2.xml”
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Minterator wrote: theme that comes with MATE 18.2 looks very dated, has a 1980s look, so I didn't bother tweaking it.

Have you tried my c-6-theme (link above)? You can customize it by editing “metacity-theme-2.xml”
I tried today, and it worked and look fine. :D

Perhaps you could make an installable .deb package from the theme?
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

administrollaattori wrote:
Minterator wrote: theme that comes with MATE 18.2 looks very dated, has a 1980s look, so I didn't bother tweaking it.

I tried today, and it worked and look fine. :D

Perhaps you could make an installable .deb package from the theme?
Maybe I should lean how to make .debs
c-6 theme has hard links to directories that tar -czf handles correctly, I'm not sure about dpkg-deb

Also, there's fine tuning of TreeView, e.g. the control that opens sub-directories in File Manager, and the vertical spacing of sub-items. I have it set to be more compact, does that look OK in your OS?

The other thing I thought of is to create a GUI where users can customize the theme interactively, probably using sed to modify config files. But that will need lots of testing.

Return to “MATE”