FTP connects in Caja, MATE 17.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

FTP connects in Caja, MATE 17.3

Post by Spearmint2 »

Anyone else had problems in 17.3 MATE using Caja, getting the FTP connection to unmount after uploading or accessing files by FTP? I didn't have this problem in 17.1 MATE version of Caja file manager. I upgraded to 17.3 last night. Anyone know the change in caja I can undo to restore it's former functionality? Below is one example, but also refused to unmount when a wine installed graphics program accessed a file that was in the folder on the server.
FTP-Caja_Problem_Mint17.3.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: FTP connects in Caja, MATE 17.3

Post by Spearmint2 »

I expect to be able to tell a volume to unmount and nothing keep it open anyway. That's a security risk. The ability to unmount a volume should be supreme over any other program, even if it's accessing it. I don't want unmountable errors from Caja, I'd rather get any error msgs from whatever program that's "keeping it open" when the volume is forcibly unmounted. This is NOT good.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Counter argument:
Forcefully unmounting a filesystem which is in use by an application might cause data corruption because that application might fail to finish its writing activity.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

karlchen wrote:Counter argument:
Forcefully unmounting a filesystem which is in use by an application might cause data corruption because that application might fail to finish its writing activity.
except all that was written was already finished, the the link to the data by Firefox was reading it from the server instead. It wasn't related to ongoing writing to the server.

Return to “MATE”