[Solved] XED Window Preferences

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lanser

[Solved] XED Window Preferences

Post by Lanser »

Just upgraded a few machines from 18.1 Mate to 18.2. All good except for a small annoyance with xed.
It defaults to "always on visible work space" instead of "only on this work space".
I can see the XED config files, but can't find the related window settings.
Can anyone please point me to the location of a prefs file or cfg prefs for the xed window?
many thanks

Lanser
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: XED Window Preferences

Post by JosephM »

I just did a quick test and couldn't reproduce this. It shouldn't even be a function of xed itself but of your window manager. You should be able to set it by right clicking on the windows titlebar. That being said I only use Mate on a limited basis so maybe someone will come along with more info.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
reticulatus

Post by reticulatus »

I have been seeing the same problem since upgrading to 18.2 MATE.

However, it doesn't happen all the time, but requires a specific sequence of opening and closing xed windows.

The following sequence is repeatable for me:

1. Open a specific file from the command line, or by right-clicking on it in Caja.
The xed window opens with "Only On This workspace".

2. Close the window.

3. Select Menu > Accessories > Text Editor
The xed window opens with "Always on Visible Workspace"

4. Close the window.

5. Select Menu > Accessories > Text Editor
The xed window opens with "Only On This workspace".

It seems that if you pass a filename as an arg to xed, then the next time you open xed it will open with "Always on Visible Workspace".

If you open xed without passing a filename, then the next time you open xed, it will use "Only On This workspace".

Note: I closed xed each time so it didn't add a new tab to an existing xed window.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Cool, thanks for the detailed steps. I can reproduce that. Even under Cinnamon.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Thanks for taking a look at this JosephM and reticulatus.
Agreed this should be a window manager function but XED appears to be the only app affected.
I am finding the default "Always on Visible Workspace" behavior is consistent for text files opened from caja or on a desktop.
If I open a file and set to "Only On This workspace" it will retain the correct behaviour for that file, until I open another file
It then defaults back to "Always on Visible Workspace" for all subsequent files opened. Either XED or window manager must be storing the default preference somewhere. I just can't find it.
cheers

Lanser
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Just for general information, this happens because Xed saves the current window state so it can restore it on next open. There was a typo in the code using the wrong variable name (all my fault) so it was setting the wrong value in many cases. Another user had PR'd a fix for something else that happened to have the same root cause. https://github.com/linuxmint/xed/pull/147
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Thank you JosephM.
cheers
Lanser
reticulatus

Post by reticulatus »

Thanks for the update and fix, JosephM.
Cheers.
sviperz

Re: [Solved] XED Window Preferences

Post by sviperz »

I was about to report a xed bug when it doesn't save its window size and fortunately found this topic.

JosephM could you please tell when the corresponded commits will be merged so xed will have the update in 18.2?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

sviperz wrote:I was about to report a xed bug when it doesn't save its window size and fortunately found this topic.

JosephM could you please tell when the corresponded commits will be merged so xed will have the update in 18.2?
Sure thing. It should save it's size though. What it isn't saving is it's state. Meaning if it's sticky, maximized, etc.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The fixed for this has been merged and a new version has been tagged so hopefully it will be out to you guys soon.
Lanser

Post by Lanser »

Just updated to xed 1.4.6. A big thank you to JosephM and the xed team for the speedy turn around on the fix. It is appreciated !
cheers
Lanser

Return to “MATE”