Window displayed is not always the active window

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Window displayed is not always the active window

Post by FreedomTruth »

Not sure where to start with this. I use LM 18.1, MATE on my main system. Now, I don't know if this is a problem specific to MATE; or whether it has been fixed in 18.2. Anyways, to describe the problem I experience... I often have several windows up all at once, on multiple desktops. In this example, let's say I have terminal, pluma, virtualbox, and firefox all open on desktop 1. I switch to desktop 2 for a while, then go back to desktop 1. Now it may show the terminal window on top of all the others, but it is not the actual active window; when I type the text may actually be going into pluma. So, no big deal, I click and minimize pluma. It still shows the terminal window on top, but this time firefox is the active window. If i try to click the minimize button on the terminal window, it actually clicks on that location in firefox behind it. I have to make terminal the active window (alt-tab, or click it in the panel) then minimize it in order to see the contents of the real active window. Any thoughts? I hope I am not alone in experiencing this, and there's a simple fix. Again, I don't know whether it has to do with switching desktops, or what exactly causes it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Reljoy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Window displayed is not always the active window

Post by Reljoy »

So you're saying that clicking on the terminal windows does not make it the active window?
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

Reljoy wrote:So you're saying that clicking on the terminal windows does not make it the active window?
Exactly. I probably didn't describe it well. It's like it draws the terminal window on top, but it's not really on top, some other window is.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Sounds like this bug. It's fixed by now in Marco 1.16.1 and 1.18.1.
FreedomTruth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by FreedomTruth »

Yeah it does sound like that ... I've moved to XFCE in the meantime :-)

Return to “MATE”