Adapting MSEide+MSEgui to Mint-MATE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mse

Adapting MSEide+MSEgui to Mint-MATE

Post by mse »

Hi,
I try to adapt MSEide+MSEgui
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mseide-msegui
for linux Mint-MATE and found that XReconfigureWMWindow() is broken.
In XReconfigureWMWindow() call stackmode "Below" windows are placed at the bottom of the window stack instead just below the sibling. This makes it impossible for clients to reliably set the window stacking order.
"
If a sibling and a stack_mode are specified, the window is restacked as follows:

Above The window is placed just above the sibling.
Below The window is placed just below the sibling.
"
https://tronche.com/gui/x/xlib/window/c ... dowChanges
Also _NET_RESTACK_WINDOW does not work.
Where should I report the bugs?
Edit: It seems that the Cinnamon edition has the same problems. Do they use the same window manager?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Adapting MSEide+MSEgui to Mint-MATE

Post by karlchen »

Hello, fredvs.

Your questions are on the development level. Therefore it is pretty unlikely that any of us Linux Mint Mate users will be able to help you solve the reported issues.
Yet we can point you to the places where you might find the Mate developers.

Mate:
Mate desktop
Mate desktop environment

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Frankly I'd be surprised if any of those devs used Pascal ... it's one of those programming languages that are often taught in 1st year CS courses but rarely used in the "real world".
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mse

Post by mse »

You are very wrong. Ever heard from Free Pascal and Delphi?
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

> one of those programming languages that are often taught in 1st year CS courses but rarely used in the "real world".

Huh, do you know "Skype" or "Photoshop" ?
Those applications were developed in Pascal.

Fre;D
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

> Yet we can point you to the places where you might find the Mate developers.

I am **totally** disappointed by the way Mint threads the developers.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7641
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/7622

Fre;D
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

fredvs wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:19 am ...............................
...'my fedora badge'... 'i'm team polYdev :-)'... respect :lol:
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

@ thx-1138 : Thanks !

Frankly I'd be surprised if any of those devs used Pascal

Here a audio application compiled using the same Pascal code for the different OS:

https://github.com/fredvs/strumpract/releases
http://uos.2369694.n4.nabble.com/StrumP ... td250.html

There are binaries for Linux 64, Linux 32, Windows 64, Windows 32, FreeBSD 64, ARM Raspberry pi.

Fre;D
mse

Post by mse »

fredvs wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:19 am I am **totally** disappointed by the way Mint threads the developers.
Also interesting
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/326
and
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/327
This are bug reports with test programs which have been closed, locked and marked as spam in *minutes* with the comment
I'm getting sick of your non descriptive issues.
!!!
Interesting that the bugs already have been fixed in Gnome:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=786363
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=786365
I read it so that Gnome fixes reported bugs and Linux Mint treats bug reports as spam. Or see
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/issues/325
I ask how on muffin it is possible to switch a minimized window to normal state programmatically. The issue will be closed and locked almost immediately with the comment:
Sorry guys. I know you think I'm being rude but this isn't really an issue we are going to change. If you are looking for help, the best place would probably actually be #linuxmint-dev on spotchat irc.
I'm closing this since changing this behavior has already been discussed and this isn't really a discussion forum. Being closed doesn't mean you can't still post in the issue.
IRC is absolutely no communication channel predestined for bug reports. I would expect a little bit more patience from Linux Mint admins and not to close and lock requests immediately so nobody who knows a solution can chime in.
The only fact which can explain such a behavior is that Linux Mint admins do not read what we write.
Later the Linux Mint expert requests that I should analyze Qt and Gtk code instead to ask questions:
Qt and Gtk are most definitely not linked against any Mint libraries. They just work. That's why I suggested that you look at the source for one of them and see how they manage this. We use Gtk for a lot of our stuff but have nothing to do with it's actual development.
Apart from the big time which is necessary to setup a Gtk or Qt test environment and to analyze code which I better would use to support my open source projects on behalf of the community it probably would not give an answer because Gtk can not switch a minimized window to normal state programmatically on Linux Mint muffin!!!
See:
https://github.com/linuxmint/muffin/iss ... -397249843

I tried to contact other people from Linux Mint staff, no reaction. :-(

I work in the open source community since 20 years and invested more than
20'000 hours into the development of MSEide+MSEgui and experienced a lot in
this time but how one is treated in the Linux Mint community is one of the worst
experiences ever. If I had not learned that in order to work opensource one
needs infinite patience I had long gave up on Mint...
Last edited by mse on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mse wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:28 am ...how one is treated in the Linux Mint community is one of the worst
experiences ever. If I had not learned that in order to work opensource one
needs indefinite patience I had long gave up on Mint...
We are support volunteers here on these forums and rarely interact with the devs. Venting your spleen here achieves nothing except perhaps gacking up the forums.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I hope anyone reading this reads those linked threads and draws their own conclusions. This all started when I, justifiably, closed the original bug report. The difference between github and the forums is that a closed issue on github can still be posted in/edited/fixed and reopened if need be. There was also things they were asking for that we told them were not going to change because they were a core part of how some features in Cinnamon work. What's conveniently being left out here is also the fact that other duplicate issue for the same thing were opened after closing that first one. Issues on github are very rarely locked. It only ever happens in rare cases. The behavior on both sides here could probably have been better but this isn't showing the whole picture.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

JosephM wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am I hope anyone reading this reads those linked threads and draws their own conclusions. This all started when I, justifiably, closed the original bug report.
I read it. I also refrained from reminding the poster of the history.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

hope anyone reading this reads those linked threads and draws their own conclusions.
My conclusion: I hope that this issue only concerns the Cinnamon project.
And that the core developers of Mint (and Mate) are other people.

Fre;D
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

fredvs wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 pm
hope anyone reading this reads those linked threads and draws their own conclusions.
My conclusion: I hope that this issue only concerns the Cinnamon project.
And that the core developers of Mint (and Mate) are other people.

Fre;D
You're likely to be disappointed then. Many of the Cinnamon devs are Mint devs.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

JosephM wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am There was also things they were asking for that we told them were not going to change because they were a core part of how some features in Cinnamon work.
JosephM wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:57 am Many of the Cinnamon devs are Mint devs.
OK, if the behaviour of the Cinnamon custom window manager was a conscience "design" decision, IMHO, by respect for the Mint users, this note would be fair:
Warning for Cinnamon user;
Because of some design decision, applications that use widgetset ICCCM compliant (like GTK, Qt, ...) should NOT be run by Cinnamon.
This because it could hardly damage your hardware (screen + cpu + battery).
Fre;D
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Seriously. What is your intention here? You seem to be dedicated to the idea of coming on here to try and drum up some sort of bad feelings toward the Mint developers.
Warning for Cinnamon user;
Because of some design decision, applications that use widgetset ICCCM compliant (like GTK, Qt, ...) should NOT be run by Cinnamon.
This because it could hardly damage your hardware (screen + cpu + battery).
Ultimately you can run around making whatever statements you want. Regardless of how ridiculous they are. It's unfortunate that things have gone this way but this seems in line with other reactions we've gotten from you guys about anything we say or do that doesn't agree with what you want.
fredvs

Post by fredvs »

JosephM wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm Seriously. What is your intention here?
I will answer because I am polite (but trust me I am more than tired).
My intention was to (try to) help some of our customers that did have serious damage with their hardware.
After hardly investigations, (and with the help of Martin Schreiber a pearl developer) we found the guilty: Cinnamon and his custom window manager.

Now if you do not want to fix this, it is up to you.

But why did you treat Martin Schreiber that way?
He gives you the keys to fix your bug, with code and sample to reproduce the bug?
JosephM wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm You seem to be dedicated to the idea of coming on here to try and drum up some sort of bad feelings toward the Mint developers.
IMHO, if somebody gives up some sort of bad feelings toward the Mint developers, it is you JosephM with your closed mind.

Fre;D

Return to “MATE”