corrupted OS 18.1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

corrupted OS 18.1

Post by hhead »

Somehow I have corrupted Mate 18.1 on my new laptop. My old one has a bad sector so I acquired a new one installed a new one and put 18.1 on it copied my files across. No problems until in the package manager the I added a libreoffice gnome integration package. I decided I did not like it and removed it. It did something to my system. First libreoffice menus have gone weird. They are all greyed out but work. When I click on a sub menu in a particular menu then the text goes black on some of them. The themes are not working properly and the screensaver (mate) has stopped working. I think I know what the problem is. Part of the mint-x theme has disappeared. The icons bit is there and is fine but the controls bit is absent (in the themes dialog). I assume I will have to reinstall the operating system which is a bit of a hassle but can anyone see a way of getting the mint-x bit working again?

Ta Neil
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: corrupted OS 18.1

Post by Pierre »

Hi Neil,

when you mess around, with install / remove <some> program,
you will always be risking messing up the system,
- this applies to the Windows System, as well.
ie: it's always a calculated risk. . .

your now got a situation, where, your best bet, is another re-installation.
:(
otherwise, you will spend even more time in fixing up, what you have gone & done.
at least, you don't have the hassle of Licence Key Issues
:)
this is one of the Upsides of using a Linux System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
hhead
Level 3
Level 3

Re: corrupted OS 18.1

Post by hhead »

Thanks Pierre I fear you are right...

Return to “MATE”