18.2 Nvidia two X screens: MATE won't let me use the second screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
furioe

18.2 Nvidia two X screens: MATE won't let me use the second screen

Post by furioe »

I was happily running 17.3 "Rosa"/64bit/MATE with three monitors attached to a Nvidia Quadro NVS450 using the Nvidia proprietary driver, one monitor on X Screen 0 and the other two on X Screen 1. No issues except I was not able to set a background on X Screen 1. (Actually this success is what made me switch to Linux Mint after spending a lot of time with Debian and Ubuntu!).

Now I did a fresh 18.2/64bit/MATE install on a different partition. The Nvidia (340.102) configurator generated a xorg.conf nearly identical to the one I have on Rosa. With this config I can move the mouse cursor across all the three monitors. However, I am unable to create a panel or any other window on X Screen 1. If I create a new panel on X Screen 0 and de-tick the expand property, I can not drag it into the other X screen as I did with 17.3. When I try to do this, the hand icon connected to the mouse jumps on X Screen 1, while the panel wraps around on X Screen 0. Right-clicking on X Screen 1 does not bring up any menu. In short, I am unable to launch anything on X Screen 1, which remains totally black except for the mouse cursor.

Did I miss something ? What can I do to regain usage of my screen estate ?

Thanks!

furio
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tony1112

Re: 18.2 Nvidia two X screens: MATE won't let me use the second screen

Post by tony1112 »

I have the same problem and googling the problem it looks like MATE 1.18.0 is broken when it comes to handling two X screens with separate desktops - maybe something to with GTK 3. I can start a program on the second screen by explicitly specifying the screen number on the command line, but this seems to screw the window manager which then loses the title bar for every window on both screens.

Looks like I am going to have to regress my system back to Mint 17.3 and hope that one day MATE gets fixed. Unfortunately Mint 18.2 seems to be unusable for anyone with a 2 screen setup :(
junji
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 18.2 Nvidia two X screens: MATE won't let me use the second screen

Post by junji »

Is there any news about this?

Do you think this will work? https://www.maketecheasier.com/extend-g ... -monitors/

Return to “MATE”