Is StatusNotifier spec. implemented in MATE 1.8 (Mint 18.2)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oblong
Level 1
Level 1

Is StatusNotifier spec. implemented in MATE 1.8 (Mint 18.2)

Post by oblong »

I'm having trouble starting Calibre in minimised (system tray) mode.

Code: Select all

$ calibre --start-in-tray
Failed to create system tray icon, your desktop environment probably does not support the StatusNotifier spec
Is that meant to be implemented, or is there some setting to be activated somewhere?

A similar problem with Cinnamon is mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=248551

But I don't know what (or if) the fix there has an equivalent in MATE.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oblong
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Is StatusNotifier spec. implemented in MATE 1.8 (Mint 18.2)

Post by oblong »

Thanks for the reply. I can't see anything on those sites that helps, though.

Calibre's author has replied at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showt ... ost3573728 on how to run calibre, but as I posted, the response to running in the terminal as Kovid suggested there is:

Code: Select all

Failed to create system tray icon, your desktop environment probably does not support the StatusNotifier spec
So I'm wondering if StatusNotifier is not implemented in MATE, or if there is some setting that is needed to activate it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

After some searching it looks like the only DE that can support StatusNotifier is KDE. Which would mean a clean reinstall ... having more than one DE on your istall makes it less reliable. And KDE is definitely heavier than Mate though, unlike Cinnamon, KDE can be seriously sped up. This issue doesn't just affect Mate users, as a quick search would show you.

I guess the question is whether this bothers you enough to do a data backup and clean reinstall.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
oblong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oblong »

Thanks for that information... not what I was hoping for!
I guess the question is whether this bothers you enough to do a data backup and clean reinstall.
Nope! I'll put up with manually minimising calibre after start-up for the time being.

However, I did some more searching, too.

"MATE 1.18 released"
https://mate-desktop.org/blog/2017-03-1 ... -released/

That specifically says, "MATE Panel gets several improvements, including: ... Added StatusNotifier support."

So I guess that leaves the options:
  1. Calibre is not using statusnotifier properly (unlikely, as it apparently works in other environments).
  2. MATE 1.8 does not implement it properly.
  3. Some setting for MATE needs to be tweaked to make it work.
Hopefully just the latter.
I thought I'd look for community support at mate-desktop.org, but that just refers back to this forum!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Try:

Settings->General Settings->Enable support for indicators.

(I'm using Cinnamon, not sure if MATE has the same option but worth a look.)
oblong
Level 1
Level 1

Post by oblong »

No, MATE does not have that same setting.

I've looked through just about every setting in Control Center but can't see anything that seems to fit.
I've changed from Control Center|Desktop|Windows|Marco to "Marco+Compositing" and to "Compiz" but no effect (after logout/login).
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Changing the compositing engine used has nothing to do with notifications. After a bit of searching it looks like it hasn't actually been properly implemented.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “MATE”