Name under icons on desktop are gone

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

Name under icons on desktop are gone

Post by fruitkiller »

So, sometimes for some reason, and rebooting didn't change anything, my proprietary driver is working fine, I can play games. But the annoyance that all the icons on my desktop have nothing written under them bothers me a lot. What caused this and how can I fix it?

Thanks a lot for your attention.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Name under icons on desktop are gone

Post by trytip »

there could be a dozen possibilities here without more info it's not easy to troubleshoot. a snapshot would help and an output of inxi -Fxz
for some reason, and rebooting didn't change anything, my proprietary driver is working fine
does this mean that most of the time you have no graphic drivers?
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I always have a graphic driver, I run fglrx 15.302, anything past that, I don't think works with my video card.

Something very strange happened today, I leave to get a package from the post office, all names under the icons are back.

Didn't last long, I was splitting a folder into multiple rar files, for some reason, that's a difficult thing to do since a long while for me, I thought I had it figured out but I installed other compresssion programs this morning and it seems it caused how I managed to do it with one of the 2 "Archive Managers" didn't work anymore, no .rar file, they appear as .part.001 .part.002 and so on, I pulled quickpar to make par files as usual, it is a windows program but it works easily in Wine.

Now when I was almost done with that, computer shuts down immediately, I didn't notice the temperature applet in my upper panel going over 80 degrees while doing that....and I have adequate cooling, i'd say from what I know and compared to, the best cooling setup with fans (no water cooling). If one's curious, my processor is an AMD-FX8350 Black Edition (although I do not use any of its overclocking features, not really needed for me, I don't play multiple games and when a game stumps me, or a level is too hard, I give up and never play again (after sometimes hundreds of tries), the computer turns itself like I said, I reboot and there was good and bad surprises. I turn the computer back on after turning the power supply off until the light on my motherboard is gone indicating no power is going through it, I reboot. The green dots of death...thankfully I have right even before my home directory a folder named VideoDrivers. I created debs out of the 15.302 --buildpkg option, as previously, amdcccle icons appeared but did not work. I install the driver, reboot, and as usual when things like this happen, all my desktop icons are all over the place with about 12 piled on each other. But, I click on the ATI icon in my upper panel, it works, so does the root icon. Before that, I did aticonfig --initial, and I installed fglrx-dev that I created out of the .run file, first time I ever do this, normally I never had DKMS errors at 93%. I reboot and suddenly I have updates, one relating to X server, which I forgot to mention, the computer shutdown that happened while I was creating .par files for the .rar files, when I started it again, X-server refused to start, hence why I reinstalled amd driver 15.302.

I didn't understand what happened, until I saw 2 updates, one directly related to X-server....I forgot the name of the X-server related update, it's not showing up in Update History in the Update Manager, but it installed xserver-common, xserver-xephyr, xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg-dev and then amdcccle works. The other update seemed pretty important, so I'm wondering if I wasn't just a victim, because it was security update galore in that package with all these xserver updates and the other one was libffi6, never saw an update for this package ever, I think, but it had security updates, like, right now. And some of it was relating to xserver so...

And no to the snarky reply, in the past, proprietary AMD/ATI drivers would identify themselves as AMD/ATI Graphic Adapter Pitcairn(the code name for my 2 graphic cards, hd radeon 7850's) and the driver manager window was empty besides that selected driver, I guess it doesn't do that anymore. But I'm close to have had enough and backup all my programs and backup the system stuff the backup utility uses and then, just start over, the .img file I've made of my Mint 17.3 partition has seen too many changes, but I might do another like this so I can just use Clonezilla with my Hiren's Boot 15.2 restored dvd and rearrange my partitions while my new usb 3.1 external drive just arrived at the local computer shop where I ordered it, I'll be able to backup both Mint 17.3 and Debian 9 x64 and my small win7 x64 partition and do a massive "good-as-new", problem is I have a huge music collection, many of them are my cd's and vinyls I ripped myself, but also some naughtily obtained stuff, i'm a musician..if I bought everything I wanted on my discogs list, it would cost me about 18k, so I buy at a regular rate.

Anyways, strange crash that I'm not sure was temp safety related as when I managed to reinstall the 15.302 driver, updates concerning xserver and another concerning deep stuff in the OS, I think this might have corrected a lot, especially the level 4 xserver update. But the names of the icons on my desktop are still missing unless I click the icon, they suddenly showed up for about 6 hours and when that quickrar windows program was running it crashed and the names disappeared, again...sigh. Some of the problem was solved, but I can't consider this thread "[SOLVED] just yet.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

@trutip, here's the inxi command results you asked for....although I'm think it's my DVI cable that's at fault, sometimes the screen will go black for a few seconds a nd then come back....and thank god it's not like my previous old...I kept it for a long time because it was a 24 inch CRT computer monitor or if it's a wrong size for those heavy things, 23 maybe? I know there's 21 inch ones, I saw them in store a long time ago.

Code: Select all

System:    Host: fypz-desktop Kernel: 4.4.0-59-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: M5A97 LE R2.0 v: Rev 1.xx
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 2701 date: 03/24/2016
CPU:       Octa core AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core (-MCP-) cache: 16384 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 64218
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 4000 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1400 MHz
           4: 2100 MHz 5: 1400 MHz 6: 1400 MHz 7: 1400 MHz 8: 1400 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn PRO [Radeon HD 7850 / R7 265 / R9 270 1024SP]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 driver: fglrx
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.8hz
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
           Card-3 JMTek LLC. driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 005-002
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-59-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: VIA VT6102/VT6103 [Rhine-II]
           driver: via-rhine port: c000 bus-ID: 04:05.0
           IF: eth1 state: unknown speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4200.8GB (59.6% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2000JD size: 200.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: WDC_WD10EFRX size: 1000.2GB
           ID-4: USB /dev/sdd model: Expansion size: 1000.2GB
           ID-5: USB /dev/sdf model: Mobile size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 65G used: 55G (89%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 7.79GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 43.6C mobo: 38.0C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 fan-1: 4500 fan-2:           -1 fan-3: 837
Info:      Processes: 356 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 6349.4/15947.9MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.5
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28
Here you go, if this helps, although, maybe it's not even the cable, although for every new installs, that problem never appears, although I didn't do an install in 3 years, been keeping this machine clean in all senses of the word as much as I know how to.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

do you have any installed drivers in driver manager? have you tried to switch window managers in control centre > desktop settings > windows try marco+compton
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

I installed the driver with the AMD provided 15.03 driver.

After installing Mint, a fresh install, Driver Manager only give me the one option, xorg-video-ati with the laughable (Recommended) next to it, video is lagging and awful if i use that one.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

change window managers and see if you get better results. i use marco+compton but i also use compiz sometimes altho compton needs less configuration

Return to “MATE”