Searching for hidden files <Solved>

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Searching for hidden files <Solved>

Post by Jedavis1975 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:07 am

It is possible I am doing this wrong, so here is what is happening.

I wanted to search for a file, which is called "savegame1.ksg"
I typed the following with no results "ksg" "*.ksg" "savegame" "save" "savegame1.ksg"

I contacted the developer, and they said to look for a hidden folder in my user directory. Lo and behold, there it was and inside was the files I had looked for spelled the exact same way, I even double checked the search to see if it could find the files, it couldn't.

So, I know there has to be a way to look for hidden files, is there an option I have missed? I think mate should be able to do this without having to resort to the CLI, which as of this writing I do not know the commands for.
Last edited by Jedavis1975 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Searching for hidden files

Post by catweazel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 am

AFAIK, you must use the CLI. There appears to be no way to do this in Caja. See man locate and man find.

Also see this.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

syg00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by syg00 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 am

How lame is that ?.
I predominantly use CLI, but following a recommendation somewhere on this list, I've started to get very fond of XFE. Very quick, and has all I need. No idea if, or how, it could be incorporated into a DE smoothly.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:23 am

install catfish from the synaptic/software center ... to setup open catfish>options>show hidden files. it's also a good idea to update the search index whenever you add or delete apps or files with catfish>options>update search index>unlock this may take a few seconds.

in mate i don't use mate search i use catfish

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:37 am

trytip wrote:install catfish
Nice tip.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Jedavis1975
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jedavis1975 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:15 pm

Catfish, Wow now that is a cool little app. Thank you so much!

I am going to add it to my list of needed programs to install.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:21 am

Jedavis1975 wrote:Catfish, Wow now that is a cool little app.
Cool app, idiotic icon :mrgreen:

Return to “MATE”