[Solved] Did I just fatally break my system?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tc2016

Re: [Solved] Did I just fatally break my system?

Post by tc2016 »

WharfRat wrote:tc2016,
In the future do a simulated remove/purge before committing to it :wink:
Or better yet, once I have a system that I'm happy with, don't mess with it. "Don't fix what ain't broke." :D
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

tc2016 wrote:
WharfRat wrote:tc2016,
In the future do a simulated remove/purge before committing to it :wink:
Or better yet, once I have a system that I'm happy with, don't mess with it. "Don't fix what ain't broke." :D
I'm the fix it til breaks type :wink:
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "tc2016"

You are welcome ...

1.) I thought the "Trojita" is a very nice fast and light email client, despite not having all the features of Thunderbird or Kmail,and having to manually setup the accounts. If you do not use GPG encryption this is still a good choice.

2.) "Dekko" is new and under heavy development from what I have read. I followed the instructions for installing the "snap" package from the web link I provided. Although it installed with a menu item, it will not even come up on my Linux Mint 18.2 system, permissions problem??

3.) "Mailspring" uses an easy to install Linux deb file which worked first time, and linked my Google account easily, my emails were there to view, my test message sent fine. I do not see any GPG - PGP encryption option with this email client either. Interesting interface, like a web wrapper interface...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
tc2016

Post by tc2016 »

phd21 wrote:Hi "tc2016"
1.) I thought the "Trojita" is a very nice fast and light email client, despite not having all the features of Thunderbird or Kmail,and having to manually setup the accounts. If you do not use GPG encryption this is still a good choice.

2.) "Dekko" is new and under heavy development from what I have read. I followed the instructions for installing the "snap" package from the web link I provided. Although it installed with a menu item, it will not even come up on my Linux Mint 18.2 system, permissions problem??

3.) "Mailspring" uses an easy to install Linux deb file which worked first time, and linked my Google account easily, my emails were there to view, my test message sent fine. I do not see any GPG - PGP encryption option with this email client either. Interesting interface, like a web wrapper interface...
It's probably bad forum etiquette to transition over to discussing mail clients in this thread, but I'll throw out one more comment, based on what I've found.

1) Turns out that Trojita only allows for 1 email account at a time, which means that after all I've gone through, it may not be of much use to me, after all. :?

2. It looks like Dekko is limited to Ubuntu 16.04 & above; since Mint 17.3 is apparently based on 14, I may not be able to use this one.

3. Mailspring might be a possibility, but the fact that it appears to require a "Mailspring ID" (whether you plan to use its advanced features or not) will make me think twice about trying it.

In the end, stuck with T'bird.

Return to “MATE”