Error after upgrade to 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buscon
Level 1
Level 1

Error after upgrade to 18.3

Post by buscon »

hi all,

I get this error every time I login into Mate since I upgraded from 18.2 to 18.3.
Otherwise everything is working fine.

Any idea how should i fix it?

thanks!

Error activating XKB configuration.
It can happen under various circumstances:
• a bug in libxklavier library
• a bug in X server (xkbcomp, xmodmap utilities)
• X server with incompatible libxkbfile implementation

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation
If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
• The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
• The result of gsettings list-keys org.mate.peripherals-keyboard-xkb.kbd

$ xprop -root | grep XKB
6:_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "evdev", "", "it,us,de", ",,", "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
33:_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "evdev", "", "it,us,de", ",,", "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

$ gsettings list-keys org.mate.peripherals-keyboard-xkb.kbd
layouts
model
options
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phil d

Re: Error after upgrade to 18.3

Post by phil d »

Im new here in fact this is my first post, but, I suspect thats a graphics card driver issue, the main reason i suspect that is due to the fact that, the x.org foundation is listed as being linked to the driver for my graphics card, by a utility called hard info (radeon hd 6670) and its listed in you quotes,

From what i gather older ati / amd graphics cards use legacy support (including mine) which comes with the distro, which are not likely to be updated, newer ati cards and nvidia cards have better driver support, which is ongoing and can be upgraded using propriatory drivers.

Although im no expert have you tried the driver manager ?

Failing that, try ;-

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

when it completes

sudo reboot

fingers crossed for you there.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

buscon wrote:Error activating XKB configuration.
Your keyboard layout is set incorrectly. Use System Settings and set it to the correct keyboard.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
buscon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buscon »

about video driver: my laptop uses the intel video card, so it should not be an issue. The system is also updated to last version
catweazel wrote: Your keyboard layout is set incorrectly. Use System Settings and set it to the correct keyboard.
ok, what do you mean exactly with "correct keyboard"?
I use three layouts, italian, german and US, they are there in the list and i can switch between them and they all work.
Keyboard model is set to unknown because it does not appear in the given option, is that what you mean maybe?

thanks!

Return to “MATE”