Theme colour tab disappeared in 18.3

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Theme colour tab disappeared in 18.3

Post by vimes666 »

I noticed that in version 18.3 the colour tab in the theme customization has vanished. In version 18.1 it is still there: Image
Is there still a way to change the tooltip colours?

(edit: 18.2 -> 18.1)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Theme colour tab disappeared in 18.3

Post by thx-1138 »

...that happens because sadly recent GTK+3 versions dropped that feature.
You will have to tweak / edit your theme's gtk.css manually...
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

thx-1138 wrote:... You will have to tweak / edit your theme's gtk.css manually...
Yeah, I tried that in the gtkrc file of my theme and it works in some applications but not in e.g. the taskbar, caja..
I guess thats due to the theme having only a gtk2 css.

I dont get it why the move to gtk3 is so important when it needs to drop such functionality :(
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

vimes666 wrote:
thx-1138 wrote:... You will have to tweak / edit your theme's gtk.css manually...
Yeah, I tried that in the gtkrc file of my theme and it works in some applications but not in e.g. the taskbar, caja..
I guess thats due to the theme having only a gtk2 css.

I dont get it why the move to gtk3 is so important when it needs to drop such functionality :(
I agree with you. If you're trying to avoid the bright-white backgrounds, try my theme here:
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Minterator wrote:...I agree with you. If you're trying to avoid the bright-white backgrounds, try my theme here: ...
I am sorry but I do not like themes with binaries in it. I just want the same tooltip colour (of choice) everywhere like I used to have with gtk2.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

well, after reading https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... s_seem_to/ I have decided to stick with mate 18.1 until 2021. Not that I expect the problems to be solved by then but because the support will end..

(edit: 18.2 -> 18.1)
Last edited by vimes666 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

vimes666 wrote:
Minterator wrote:...I agree with you. If you're trying to avoid the bright-white backgrounds, try my theme here: ...
I am sorry but I do not like themes with binaries in it. I just want the same tooltip colour (of choice) everywhere like I used to have with gtk2.

What binaries?

vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Minterator wrote: What binaries?
I only had a quick look and was fooled by the binary icon engrampa showed me for scss files. The gtk-3.0 folder however contains a binary called gtk.gresource which may well be the compiled version of the same named xml, but I do not know how to check that.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

vimes666 wrote:
Minterator wrote: What binaries?
I only had a quick look and was fooled by the binary icon engrampa showed me for scss files. The gtk-3.0 folder however contains a binary called gtk.gresource which may well be the compiled version of the same named xml, but I do not know how to check that.
Themes have config (text) files and some images, no binary executables.

To test my c-6 theme for binary executables run: find ~/.themes/c-6/ -type f -executable -exec file -i '{}' \; | grep 'x-executable; charset=binary'

Also, you can configure most colors by editing "~/.themes/c-6/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml"

aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Minterator wrote:...
To test my c-6 theme for binary executables run: find ~/.themes/c-6/ -type f -executable -exec file -i '{}' \; | grep 'x-executable; charset=binary'

Also, you can configure most colors by editing "~/.themes/c-6/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml"
But if one uses the file command, gtk.gresource is shown as a database file. I think what OP wants is a theme in which end users can just edit and save individual files such as gtk-widgets,css or gtk.css or gtk-main.css. With the newer themes, making modifications to gtk3 themes needs the use of a theme-dependent GUI like oomox (for numix derivatives only(?)) or knowledge of sass.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

aes2011 wrote:

But if one uses the file command, gtk.gresource is shown as a database file. I think what OP wants is a theme in which end users can just edit and save individual files such as gtk-widgets.css or gtk.css or gtk-main.css. With the newer themes, making modifications to gtk3 themes needs the use of a theme-dependent GUI like oomox (for numix derivatives only(?)) or knowledge of sass.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

aes2011 wrote:

But if one uses the file command, gtk.gresource is shown as a database file. I think what OP wants is a theme in which end users can just edit and save individual files such as gtk-widgets,css or gtk.css or gtk-main.css. With the newer themes, making modifications to gtk3 themes needs the use of a theme-dependent GUI like oomox (for numix derivatives only(?)) or knowledge of sass.
gtk.gresource is pre-compiled images. You can google “gresource” for details. I haven’t looked at the API but it appears similar to a Windows image-list, probably indexed to load faster as an array. You can list its content with command: gresource list ~/.themes/c-6/gtk-3.0/gtk.gresource and extract individual images with gresource extract <resource>

The big picture is that MATE 18.3 comes with bright-white backgrounds throughout, which hurts the eyes and makes this release unusable for millions of users. As the OP pointed out, users cannot get the colors of their choice, and they shouldn’t have to edit config files, it’s very geeky. C-6 theme (viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647) solves the problem by giving a mid-tone color -- not black or white. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to set the ToolTip color.
vimes666
Level 6
Level 6

Post by vimes666 »

Minterator wrote: gtk.gresource is pre-compiled images. You can google “gresource” for details. I haven’t looked at the API but it appears similar to a Windows image-list, probably indexed to load faster as an array. You can list its content with command: gresource list ~/.themes/c-6/gtk-3.0/gtk.gresource and extract individual images with gresource extract <resource>
Thanks for clearing that up.
Minterator wrote: The big picture is that MATE 18.3 comes with bright-white backgrounds throughout, which hurts the eyes and makes this release unusable for millions of users. As the OP pointed out, users cannot get the colors of their choice, and they shouldn’t have to edit config files, it’s very geeky. C-6 theme (viewtopic.php?f=206&t=252647) solves the problem by giving a mid-tone color -- not black or white. The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to set the ToolTip color.
I agree with you. I happily used the same theme (with some tweaks) for some 5 years now especially for its readability. As far as I can see I cannot get any theme working to my eyes liking. As I started this topic mainly because of the colour settings of the tooltips, there are other issues (like viewtopic.php?f=47&t=257843&p=1391553&h ... a#p1391553 ) that made me go back to version 18.1. It's a pity that people with bad eyesight like me have to stick to an older version.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Minterator wrote:The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to set the ToolTip color.
Tooltips (pale yellow color):
gtk-3.0 > gtk.css - @define-color tooltip_bg_color: #F5F5B5; #ced8e1;
gtk-3.0 > settings.ini - ntooltip_bg_color:#F5F5B5
gtk-2.0 > gtkrc - ntooltip_bg_color:#FBEAA0
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

austin.texas wrote:
Minterator wrote:The only thing I haven’t figured out yet is how to set the ToolTip color.
Tooltips (pale yellow color):
gtk-3.0 > gtk.css - @define-color tooltip_bg_color: #F5F5B5; #ced8e1;
gtk-3.0 > settings.ini - ntooltip_bg_color:#F5F5B5
gtk-2.0 > gtkrc - ntooltip_bg_color:#FBEAA0
Thank you, I already tried that but it didn't work. Any idea why?

Return to “MATE”