LM 18.3: Caja can't reposition items from command line???

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

LM 18.3: Caja can't reposition items from command line???

Post by Webtest » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Esteemed Forum Participants and Lurkers:
===============================
LM 17.2 Mate --> 18.3 Mate LiveMedia ROM systems

I am generally pleased with LM 18.3 Mate 64-bit, but it does have a few quirks.

When I boot up my LiveMedia system from a locked USB thumb drive, I run a script to set up a few things in the system. I have a few icons that I move to the top-right corner of the window. The command works PERFECTLY in LM 17.2 Mate, but NOT AT ALL in LM 18.3!!!

Code: Select all

echo; echo 'Move the Cron Job icon to the top-right corner of the screen'
# https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/172343/positionioning-items-on-the-desktop
#    This is set for a 1280 x 1024 monitor !!!
#    =====================================
gvfs-set-attribute ~/Desktop/cron_mint 'metadata::caja-icon-position' 1156,10
echo
 . . . 
 caja --quit
Is this a bug that I am just going to have to live with, or is there some way around it ... like moving it manually (ugh!)? Oh, the joys of constant upgrading. I need LM 18 because I have a couple of important web sites that won't run on older versions of Firefox.

Thank you for any comments, suggestions, and assistance.
Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 4 GB - Mint 10 Gnome, Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives>

Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 18.3: Caja can't reposition items from command line???

Post by Webtest » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:56 pm

I've done some more debugging ...

The problem is that the Caja position METADATA does NOT get changed by the command. If I open a terminal window, change the metadata, and then do: caja --quit . . . the icon DOES get moved. I do that line by line in a terminal window, AFTER I have run the script. The first line of the following shows that the script run right after booting does not change the metadata.

Code: Select all

gvfs-info Desktop/cron_mint
gvfs-set-attribute ~/Desktop/cron_mint 'metadata::caja-icon-position' 1156,10
gvfs-info Desktop/cron_mint
caja --quit
EDIT: . . . I put a debugging line immediately after setting the position metadata in the script: gvfs-info /home/mint/Desktop/cron_mint

It shows that the metadata DOES get changed to the new value, but when the script completes, the icon does NOT get repositioned, and when I open a terminal and check the -info again after the script has completed, it has REVERTED to the original value where it was created ...
metadata::caja-icon-position: 64,402

This is not the first time I have had a problem with a function NOT running in a script even though it runs line-by-line in a terminal???

Blessings, Art
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 4 GB - Mint 10 Gnome, Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives>

Return to “MATE”