Mint 18.3 MATE update - regret!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChrisDemtt
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.3 MATE update - regret!

Post by ChrisDemtt »

Greetings all;

As I've only been using Linux Mint for around six months, I'm still very green - so please forgive any shortcomings on my part.

I really regret upgrading to 18.3 from 18.2 mainly due to the fact that 18.3 updated Firefox to the latest version (Quantum) - which is shtie (anag). This being the case, I completely removed FF Quantum and installed an earlier FF version which I'd used previously (V 45.0.1) which (for Mint 18.2) worked absolutely fine - especially as it ran all of the extensions which I required for the browser.

However now when I open FF it loads up as it should, but whilst trying to navigate through sites the browser starts to slow down until it freezes. As the hard drive light is flashing constantly - it looks like the memory is being sapped to the point whereupon the system then accesses the swap file continuously - at this point I have to use the terminal "killall Firefox" to close the program. In addition to this, I've also noticed that the update manager shield icon changes from blue to a red cross after shut down of FF - maybe a coincidence?

Unfortunately the system back up I "thought" I'd performed didn't work so I cannot revert back to 18.2. Can anyone offer any constructive advice and methods on how to address the above?

Please advise

Cheers

Chris D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 18.3 MATE update - regret!

Post by Schultz »

Using an old version of a browser is never a good idea. What I did was replace the standard version of Firefox with the ESR version, using the instructions found at the link below. The instructions seem hard, but in reality it was very easy. Of course this is only a temporary solution as the ESR version will be bumped up to version 60 (I think) sometime around Aug 2018. You may want to consider another browser, in which case I would suggest either Pale Moon or Waterfox.

viewtopic.php?p=1053056#p1053056
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

All Linux Mint versions have the same Firefox version. Right now that is 57.0.3. Going back to 18.2 won't make a bit of difference. I would offer you have to make a different choice: either learn to live with Firefox 57+ or switch to another web browser. Especially your Firefox 45 is an extremely bad idea—Firefox updates include the fixes for security bugs, which means such an old Firefox version has a lot of security bugs that malware will exploit. (The same goes for those extensions you want to use that have been abandoned by their developers a good while ago...) Stay safe, use an up to date web browser.

Edit: Firefox ESR is a solution for just a month or two more. Firefox 60 is the next ESR so after Firefox 60 is released you can also no longer use Firefox 52 safely.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

FF also leaks on my Mate...

Install a session/tab manger to save sessions automatically and simply restart once a day...

Or download and install a ESR version.

No big deal.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

xenopeek wrote:
Firefox ESR is a solution for just a month or two more. Firefox 60 is the next ESR so after Firefox 60 is released you can also no longer use Firefox 52 safely.
Firefox ESR 52 will be supported until August so that would give plenty of time to experiment with other browsers, if he so chooses.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks Schultz. Didn't know there was that big of an overlap for ESR versions.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rbeltz48 »

I also tried LM 18.3 MATE and was flabbergasted with both the increased memory requirements and FF 57! Firefox has been going downhill for years and what used to be the best browser for the web has now become one of the worst bloatware browsers. I will continue using old versions of FF until I can find and test a "good" alternative. I refuse to be "forced" to upgrade and lose my freedom of choice, which is what Linux is supposed to be all about. Period.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

rbeltz48 wrote:
I will continue using old versions of FF until I can find and test a "good" alternative. I refuse to be "forced" to upgrade and lose my freedom of choice, which is what Linux is supposed to be all about. Period.
I would humbly suggest then that you at least use the ESR version so that you would be using a browser that has patched it's security flaws.
BTW, I agree that FF has been going downhill, for quite a while now.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rbeltz48 wrote: I refuse to be "forced" to upgrade and lose my freedom of choice, which is what Linux is supposed to be all about. Period.
Oh, no worries, you are free to stick with old, unsupported versions and leave your system wide open to security risks. Just don't expect people here to tell you how to do this.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Schultz wrote:
rbeltz48 wrote:
I agree that FF has been going downhill, for quite a while now.
The morons even shipped the latest release with a pre-installed hidden extension (Looking Glass 1.0.3).

Another option to continue reckless behavior is to run old FF from Docker.
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

Pale Moon.
Just export/import your bookmarks.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Palemoon is the best option for now if you want a FF experience, i use it in arch and linux mint. i personally gave up on firefox and use chrome but have many extensions for privacy and i block google phone home with a etc/hosts
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

trytip wrote:Palemoon is the best option for now if you want a FF experience
Pale Moon is indeed great and so is Waterfox.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ChrisDemtt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChrisDemtt »

Many thanks for the responses and points taken.

I've used Palemoon on Windows and found it okay - but never thought to use in on Linux. Also, I've never heard of Waterfox - Reckon I'll give that a dose of looking at.

I've also got Chrome installed but (to my mind) it lacks the extension functionality of FF. Anyway, In the meantime - I'll ditch Firefox accordingly.

Cheers all

Chris D

Return to “MATE”