[SOLVED] Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
randomguy

[SOLVED] Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Post by randomguy »

It's something I did at some point after I installed Mint Mate 18.3, but I can't undo it:

1) Normally, if you fire up browser or terminal, a little window icon appears on the panel

2) In my case, this happens twice (see the screenshot (link or attachment)) and no matter how I attempt to drag/drop/Propert-ize this, I can't get rid of the clone (I'd like to remove one of them).

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/F41OI
I use "vertical" orientation of panels, in case the screenshot looks confusing.

I've been running like this for weeks but now I can't stand it any more. If I open 5-6 windows, the both lists become very tiny to the point of icons being undistinguishable (few pixels "tall") and useless.
I spent hours screwing around with the panel setup so I would hate to start from scratch, but if there's no way to remove this stuff, I'll probably just wipe the panels and start over.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Panel annoyance: icons of open apps/windows repeated twice

Post by all41 »

Right click on one duplicate and choose Remove from Panel
It sounds like you have added an additional Windows List applet to your panel.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
randomguy

Re: Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Post by randomguy »

I tried that and that does seem logical, but I don't get "Remove from panel" on that action.

Instead I get "Maximize", "Move", etc. - actions for the window represented by the icon.

I tried clicking on different places on the panel (around, in between, etc.) but I can't find the sweet spot.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Post by all41 »

Right click just outside the lower left corner of one of the duplicates to see the remove from panel dialogue
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

Wow, that did work. What an incredible ordeal...

In my case (top-down side panel) that would probably be top-left corner.
But I dragged my panel down to horizontal to eliminate guesswork.

Thank you!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: [SOLVED] Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Post by all41 »

Good :)
btw:
Welcome to the forums
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Panel annoyance: "strip" with icons of open windows appears twice, can't get rid of it

Post by Moem »

Well, that was actually surprisingly easy once you knew how, wasn't it. 8)
Nice that you worked it out!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
arclighter

Post by arclighter »

I, too, had two "windows list" apps showing; had to move panel to the Bottom, before being able to remove one of the "windows list" apps from the panel.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

arclighter wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:35 pm I, too, had two "windows list" apps showing; had to move panel to the Bottom, before being able to remove one of the "windows list" apps from the panel.
Good additional information @arclighter
bravo

Return to “MATE”