<Solved?> Mate panel items spontaneously rearrange

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

<Solved?> Mate panel items spontaneously rearrange

Post by Superannuated »

RE: LM 17.3 Mate

I have a horizontal panel at the bottom and a vertical panel on the left of my screen. The vertical panel is all application launchers. The panels have been rock steady for about 2 years.

Yesterday and today when I boot up my desktop computer the order of the launchers in the vertical panel is rearranged. When it happened yesterday I unlocked all icons, put them in the proper order, and relocked each one. Today the bottom 6 icons are now at the top of the panel.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix this? I like things to be where I expect them to be. Further, Mate makes it difficult to set things right since you have to unlock, move, and relock each separate icon (and I have 22 at this time).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
randomguy

Re: Mate panel items spontaneously rearrange

Post by randomguy »

I saw this too when I had them in the center - that was with my current setup, Mint 18.3 but also Ubuntu MATE Desktop 16.04.
Couldn't figure it out. Ultimately I gave up on trying to do that.
Now I moved all my items to the other end of the panel (concretely, in top panel, to the very left and to the very right).
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mate panel items spontaneously rearrange

Post by Superannuated »

I think my experience is similar to yours. Typically when I add things to the panel or move things around I first select Expand, from the Panel Properties, to make room. When done working on the panel I uncheck the Expand box, the panel contracts, and any gaps between icons is gone.

My problem may have occurred because this time after working on the panel most of my icons were tightly packed together toward the top of the vertical panel and 6 icons were packed together toward the bottom. There was a large gap between the two groups. (I left the gap there to make it easier to move things onto the panel at a later date.)

When I restarted my computer the lower 6 icons moved from the bottom of the panel to the top. To fix the problem, at least so far, I rearranged the icons as described above except I packed all the icons tightly together and left the gap at the bottom to the expanded panel. So far they have not spontaneously rearranged.

Return to “MATE”