Notification Applet Font

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mellobob

Notification Applet Font

Post by mellobob »

Is it possible to change the font size for the notification applet. I'm running "notification-area-applet" which I think is the default for the mate desktop, but I'm not sure. I've tried to change the fonts in the "look and feel" options, but it doesn't seem to make any different (not sure which, if any, the applet uses).

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Notification Applet Font

Post by Superannuated »

gnome-color-chooser (from the Software Manager) can change the font size of the panel constituents. I don't have any text among the icons in my Notification Area so I can't say whether it will work for that.

In gnome-color-chooser select the Panel tab. Under the Panel heading is font. A context window pops up when click on the current font setting. Click Apply at the bottom of the window when you are done making changes. Change does not happen until Apply is, well, applied.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

Thanks for the try :) I just spent a few minutes playing with gnome-color-chooser, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on any of the different bits and pieces of the Mate desktop. Odd, since I thought that Mate was essentially a gnome wrapper.
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

Too bad. It worked for my computer running LM 17.3 Mate. For example I was able to increase the font size of panel items like the Menu and the text in open windows of Window List and the Clock.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

I'm running 18.3. Can anyone confirm that there is a change here ... or should I spent some more time trying?
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated »

I just tried it on LM 18.3 Mate. It didn't have any effect on the panel font size. :(
Last edited by Superannuated on Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

I never thought this would be so hard ... I figured I'd just change a config file somewhere. Oh the mysteries of life.
dlguild
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dlguild »

gnome-color-chooser only works in prior versions of Mate which use gtk-2. Most everything is set up now for gtk-3, and is controlled by the gtk.css file in the /home/<user>/.config/gtk-3.0 folder. There is also a program which enables you to control some aspects of the appearance. I think it is available in the package manager: gtk-theme-config

It is certainly more difficult to control this stuff now than previously, but it is possible. :)

Return to “MATE”