Problems with dynamic multiple monitor setups in LM18.3, Mate

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lovecraft1024
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with dynamic multiple monitor setups in LM18.3, Mate

Post by lovecraft1024 »

Hi,

A dynamic multi-monitor setup on my laptop is proving to be very difficult to work with.

Setup details: LM18.3 MATE on a Lenovo T470p. I plug into their "Ultra" dock which provides two DisplayPort outputs. I have two Dell U2515H monitors connected. All three screens are active in an extended desktop setup.

I manage to be able to get this setup eventually using the "Monitor Preferences" panel. This is fine as long as I stay connected to the dock. When I remove the laptop from the dock, the system won't reconfigure to a single display. This is manifest by the laptop screen showing only an empty desktop; the taskbar is on the (missing) monitor to the right. Even when the laptop display is selected as the main display, there are issues - windows that were on the external screens are still there, which seems to indicate that X or Mate hasn't reconfigured. Now, the best workaround is complete shutdown or reboot.

Strangely, at my home setup with a single Acer 2K display, the problem doesn't occur. I can plug in the monitor or remove it, directly from the machine's HDMI port and it works fine...

Any ideas for recovery, or even better, a solution, are appreciated!

CRW
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “MATE”