mate panel displays wrong applet icons

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

mate panel displays wrong applet icons

Post by cdaaawg »

After a recent update, some of the Mate panel icons changed to a red circle/slash. When clicked, the panel apps those icons are associated with, launch without any problem. I have tried resetting the panels via:

mate-panel --reset

and then reconfiguring the panels, but the icons are still broken.

Thank you for any enlightenment.

Carl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: mate panel displays wrong applet icons

Post by WharfRat »

Right-click on the panel icon, choose properties then click on the icon shown in the top left-hand corner.
Screenshot at 2018-02-09 18-41-53.png
Then see where it's pointing to.
Screenshot at 2018-02-09 18-42-11.png
Did you change anything related to the theme :?:
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cdaaawg »

No, the theme was not changed. The only thing that changed was whatever changes the updates made to the system. Funny thing is, the icon displayed in the Launcher Property editor displays as it should. At the moment, I am unable to access the computer on which this problem has manifested itself, so I can't click the icon in the editor to see if it really points where it should. Thanks for the suggestion, will get back with results when I can access the computer.

Carl
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Before you do any other updates, check /var/log/apt/history.log and /var/log/apt/term.log to see what was upgraded and what transpired during the upgrade.

They may provide some clues :wink:
cdaaawg
Level 2
Level 2

Solved Re: mate panel displays wrong applet icons

Post by cdaaawg »

cdaaawg wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:21 pm After a recent update, some of the Mate panel icons changed to a red circle/slash. When clicked, the panel apps those icons are associated with, launch without any problem. I have tried resetting the panels via:

mate-panel --reset

and then reconfiguring the panels, but the icons are still broken.

Thank you for any enlightenment.

Carl
I ran the following code and the update icon was restored to the notification area and all applet icons were fixed:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall mintupdate
Carl

Return to “MATE”