[SOLVED] Plugging USB keyboard breaks internal laptop keyboard

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t0pes

[SOLVED] Plugging USB keyboard breaks internal laptop keyboard

Post by t0pes »

I run Linux MATE 18.3. I plugged in a USB keyboard to my MacBook early 2008 recently.
Since this time I cannot use my internal laptop keyboard, some keys work with weired characters most don't. It doesn't matter if the USB keyboard is plugged in or not.
Somehow the keyboard layout seems to be broken, it doesn't look like common other charsets.
Language and region settings etc. seems to be correct. Creating a new account works also for me.
I don't want to reset my whole profile. Are there any files or command to cleanup the action plugging in the USB keyboard did to my profile?

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Plugging USB keyboard broke internal laptop keyboard

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

t0pes wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:19 pmCreating a new account works also for me.
So you mean that the laptop keyboard works properly with a new account? If so, try this:

Open your file manager at your home folder. Press the Ctrl-H key pair to view hidden files. Find a folder named .config -- a period precedes the name to denote a hidden folder. Rename the folder to .config.bak because we want to save it if this doesn't work. Reboot the computer and logon. See if the laptop keyboard works. If not, rename the new .config folder to .config.test and then rename the .config.bak folder to .config to get back to where you were.

If this does work, you can leave the new .config folder because it will get updated as more configuration info is stored there. Don't forget to press the Ctrl-H key pair again to hide the files.
t0pes

Post by t0pes »

Thanks for your answer CaptainKirksChair.
So you mean that the laptop keyboard works properly with a new account?
Yes.

I already thought about .config. This seems to be the only folder where such information may be stored.
I thought all other desktop configuration will be gone as well. I will give it a try this afternoon.
t0pes

Post by t0pes »

Moving .config worked for me.

Return to “MATE”