Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Post by MSt1982 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Hello, it feels as if the scrollbars of the windows getting smaller and smaller every update, whatever design-theme I choose.
The ONLY theme remaining a normal scrollbar is the high-contrast-bw-theme...but I do not want black and white.

Why don't remove the developers the scrollbar just completely? Do I get a magnifying glass for free with next update?
Why is the scrollbar getting smaller and smaller for every theme? Why is there no theme with a normal scrollbar anymore?

How do I get the scrollbar wider manually for the themes?

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Post by ibbill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:38 pm

I use rescroller in the google extensions.

Really find it a pain that I have to use a chrome extension. Just for scrollbars.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 18 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
NVIDIA Corporation G84GL [Quadro FX 1700] (rev a1)
4gb ram Dual core
Hamilton Ontario

MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:56 pm

This fixes it only for the browser maybe, but its a system-wide problem.

Filemanager and every other window also has such miniature-scrollbars nowadays. I found out its possible to download other themes - but I do not want to download tons of crap only to find out which theme possibly has a normal, good visible scrollbar.

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

I think this can be done by editing a couple of files. The first is gtkrc, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0. The second is gtk-widgets.css, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. They need to be opened as administrator to be edited. In those files, look for the line: GtkScrollbar::slider-width = (I'm pretty sure that's the one). After the equal sign, give it a higher number. I have mine set at 18 and 12 respectively.

:!: It might be a good idea to write down the original number or backup the unedited file in case things go south. :!:

NOTE: If you are using a different theme than Mint-X, you need to go into the folder for the theme you are using.

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:43 pm

I was kind of hoping that we could make them any size we wanted to.

I use 18 not sure if 18.1 or 18.2 Mate gives you that option.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 18 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
4gb ram Dual core
Hamilton Ontario

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Schultz » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:44 pm

ibbill wrote:
I was kind of hoping that we could make them any size we wanted to.

I use 18 not sure if 18.1 or 18.2 Mate gives you that option.
I don't understand your post. You can change the numbers in the two files I mentioned to anything you want. Whether one uses Mint 18, or Mint 18.1 or .2 or .3 doesn't make a difference (I don't think).

ibbill
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ibbill » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Okay thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Missed your first post on how to do it. oops.
Bill and so it goes
Mint Mate 18 64 bit
HP xw4600-workstation
4gb ram Dual core
Hamilton Ontario

mellobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mellobob » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I just created a file

.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

and put some size info there.

.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 8;
}

I've not had a chance to try this with Mate, but it does work nicely with xfce4. BTW, this is not my idea ... I found it somewhere on the web.

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm
I think this can be done by editing a couple of files. The first is gtkrc, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0. The second is gtk-widgets.css, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. They need to be opened as administrator to be edited. In those files, look for the line: GtkScrollbar::slider-width = (I'm pretty sure that's the one). After the equal sign, give it a higher number. I have mine set at 18 and 12 respectively.

:!: It might be a good idea to write down the original number or backup the unedited file in case things go south. :!:

NOTE: If you are using a different theme than Mint-X, you need to go into the folder for the theme you are using.
This works perfectly for my 75 year old eyes in 4.13.0-36 Cinnamon
Thank you

mellobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mellobob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:53 pm

mellobob wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm
I just created a file

.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

and put some size info there.

.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 8;
}

I've not had a chance to try this with Mate, but it does work nicely with xfce4. BTW, this is not my idea ... I found it somewhere on the web.
I tested this with mate, and it works just fine. Advantage over doing it this way instead of fiddling with theme files as root is that you don't need to fiddle with stuff as root and it will override the theme file you select if you decide to change themes.

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:45 am

Schultz wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm

In usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0.
I found that '20' to be a better value for my screen. gives scroll bar width of about 3/16" on my screen....
so much easier to find and use.... I am constantly having to scroll thru huge amounts of text looking for stuff.

In kernel 4.13.0-38, this file gtk-widgets.css does not have a scroll bar width line.

smurphos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by smurphos » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:51 am

The theme versions are not related to your kernel version.

In Mint X's gtk-widgets.css look for this section and edit -GtkRange-slider-width: 10; & -GtkRange-slider-width: 5px;. The first is the width when hovering, the second is the default unhovered width.

Not every theme will look the same - many just have one big gtk.css file with everything in. Just search the theme for 'scrollbar' and you'll probably find the relevant section. Be aware that some themes will have application specific overrides as-well.

I would suggest not modding the system themes directly but make a copy of the system theme into ~/.themes and edit the copy. That way if you break the theme you still have a working master.

Code: Select all

/*************
 * scrollbar *
 *************/

.scrollbar {
    background-clip: padding-box;
    -GtkRange-trough-border: 2;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkRange-slider-width: 10;
    -GtkScrollbar-min-slider-length: 30;
    -GtkRange-stepper-spacing: 0;