Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Post by MSt1982 »

Hello, it feels as if the scrollbars of the windows getting smaller and smaller every update, whatever design-theme I choose.
The ONLY theme remaining a normal scrollbar is the high-contrast-bw-theme...but I do not want black and white.

Why don't remove the developers the scrollbar just completely? Do I get a magnifying glass for free with next update?
Why is the scrollbar getting smaller and smaller for every theme? Why is there no theme with a normal scrollbar anymore?

How do I get the scrollbar wider manually for the themes?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ibbill

Re: Scrollbars smaller and smaller

Post by ibbill »

I use rescroller in the google extensions.

Really find it a pain that I have to use a chrome extension. Just for scrollbars.
MSt1982
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MSt1982 »

This fixes it only for the browser maybe, but its a system-wide problem.

Filemanager and every other window also has such miniature-scrollbars nowadays. I found out its possible to download other themes - but I do not want to download tons of crap only to find out which theme possibly has a normal, good visible scrollbar.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I think this can be done by editing a couple of files. The first is gtkrc, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0. The second is gtk-widgets.css, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. They need to be opened as administrator to be edited. In those files, look for the line: GtkScrollbar::slider-width = (I'm pretty sure that's the one). After the equal sign, give it a higher number. I have mine set at 18 and 12 respectively.

:!: It might be a good idea to write down the original number or backup the unedited file in case things go south. :!:

NOTE: If you are using a different theme than Mint-X, you need to go into the folder for the theme you are using.
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

I was kind of hoping that we could make them any size we wanted to.

I use 18 not sure if 18.1 or 18.2 Mate gives you that option.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

ibbill wrote:
I was kind of hoping that we could make them any size we wanted to.

I use 18 not sure if 18.1 or 18.2 Mate gives you that option.
I don't understand your post. You can change the numbers in the two files I mentioned to anything you want. Whether one uses Mint 18, or Mint 18.1 or .2 or .3 doesn't make a difference (I don't think).
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Okay thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Missed your first post on how to do it. oops.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

I just created a file

.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

and put some size info there.

.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 8;
}

I've not had a chance to try this with Mate, but it does work nicely with xfce4. BTW, this is not my idea ... I found it somewhere on the web.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm I think this can be done by editing a couple of files. The first is gtkrc, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0. The second is gtk-widgets.css, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. They need to be opened as administrator to be edited. In those files, look for the line: GtkScrollbar::slider-width = (I'm pretty sure that's the one). After the equal sign, give it a higher number. I have mine set at 18 and 12 respectively.

:!: It might be a good idea to write down the original number or backup the unedited file in case things go south. :!:

NOTE: If you are using a different theme than Mint-X, you need to go into the folder for the theme you are using.
This works perfectly for my 75 year old eyes in 4.13.0-36 Cinnamon
Thank you
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

mellobob wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 pm I just created a file

.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

and put some size info there.

.scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
-GtkRange-slider-width: 15;
-GtkRange-stepper-size: 8;
}

I've not had a chance to try this with Mate, but it does work nicely with xfce4. BTW, this is not my idea ... I found it somewhere on the web.
I tested this with mate, and it works just fine. Advantage over doing it this way instead of fiddling with theme files as root is that you don't need to fiddle with stuff as root and it will override the theme file you select if you decide to change themes.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:33 pm I think this can be done by editing a couple of files. The first is gtkrc, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0. The second is gtk-widgets.css, found in /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-3.0. They need to be opened as administrator to be edited. In those files, look for the line: GtkScrollbar::slider-width = (I'm pretty sure that's the one). After the equal sign, give it a higher number. I have mine set at 18 and 12 respectively.

In usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0.
I found that '20' to be a better value for my screen. gives scroll bar width of about 3/16" on my screen....
so much easier to find and use.... I am constantly having to scroll thru huge amounts of text looking for stuff.

In kernel 4.13.0-38, this file gtk-widgets.css does not have a scroll bar width line.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The theme versions are not related to your kernel version.

In Mint X's gtk-widgets.css look for this section and edit -GtkRange-slider-width: 10; & -GtkRange-slider-width: 5px;. The first is the width when hovering, the second is the default unhovered width.

Not every theme will look the same - many just have one big gtk.css file with everything in. Just search the theme for 'scrollbar' and you'll probably find the relevant section. Be aware that some themes will have application specific overrides as-well.

I would suggest not modding the system themes directly but make a copy of the system theme into ~/.themes and edit the copy. That way if you break the theme you still have a working master.

Code: Select all

/*************
 * scrollbar *
 *************/

.scrollbar {
    background-clip: padding-box;
    -GtkRange-trough-border: 2;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 0;
    -GtkRange-slider-width: 10;
    -GtkScrollbar-min-slider-length: 30;
    -GtkRange-stepper-spacing: 0;
    -GtkRange-trough-under-steppers: 1;
}

.scrollbar.overlay-indicator:not(.dragging):not(.hovering) {
    opacity: 0.4;
    -GtkRange-slider-width: 5px;
    background-image: none;
    border: none;
}
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
bluesberryinn

Post by bluesberryinn »

HELP! Mint 19.1 won't let me edit those files and it has no way that I can see to open as administrator. In properties, it says "you are not the owner so you can't change the permissions."

So do I go blind using Mint's tiny razor thin scroll bars? Or do I need to go back to Windows? I hope not
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

bluesberryinn wrote:
HELP! Mint 19.1 won't let me edit those files and it has no way that I can see to open as administrator.
Since this is in Mate section of the forums, I'll assume that's the DE you're using. Simply right click the file, and there should be an option to "Open as administrator."
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

bluesberryinn wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 am HELP! Mint 19.1 won't let me edit those files and it has no way that I can see to open as administrator. In properties, it says "you are not the owner so you can't change the permissions."

So do I go blind using Mint's tiny razor thin scroll bars? Or do I need to go back to Windows? I hope not
apt install caja-admin if the right click to open as Admin option is not available in Mate.

Note I personally recommend copying system themes to your home themes directory ~./themes to edit them. There is no requirement for admin rights doing it this way.

Also there is another way of overriding the values set by your GTK theme that is not theme specific - viewtopic.php?p=1571430#p157143
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
DSHornet

Post by DSHornet »

This might be a revival of an old thread but I'm having trouble with the too-thin scroll bar issue. Background: My main desktop computer is dual boot Mint/Win 7. I've been playing with Mint off-and-on for about a year with an old laptop but I want to get serious with the support for Win 7 ending in a few months. As I'm customizing Mint to be easier to use (especially for The Bride), I've run into a problem I know I'll need to correct. All the scroll bars are much too narrow.

I discovered how to get to the /usr/share/themes/mint-x/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file and can suck it into the text editor for modification. The problem is, I can't save the file. I can only "Save-as." Right-clicking on the file name does not show an option about opening it as an administrator.

When I installed Mint on my primary desktop two weeks ago, I made myself admin level, or at least I think I did. Why can't I save this file?

Don

PS: As a note for developers, I also need to increase the size of the buttons in the upper right corner. Please give us more options for customizing windows in the user interface. Terminal mode can be confusing, especially when the instructions as shown in so many forum posts don't seem to work.
DSHornet

Post by DSHornet »

As an update to my previous post concerning scroll bar width, recently upgrading to Mint 19.2 has been a great help with this specific problem. Thanks to the developers for making it easier for us newbies.

Now there is a problem with my ~110 Gb Linux partition suddenly filling up almost completely after the upgrade, but that's on another thread.

Return to “MATE”