* Mate - Panel Taskbar application minimize issues

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

* Mate - Panel Taskbar application minimize issues

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

First let me say, that I think all editions of Linux Mint are wonderful.

The "Mate" edition is considered the most hardware compatible edition, it is pretty fast, and does not require the computer resources that Cinnamon or KDE does.

But, every time I install Linux Mint Mate edition to help other forum members or for myself, the system tray panel taskbar is not functioning properly. If I bring up applications, then minimize them using the application's window minimize button, they seem to disappear because the taskbar is not set properly. This is not a good thing, and users will bring up the application(s) again, not realizing the application(s) are still running creating multiple running instances of the application(s).

I have read multiple posts on this, but I have to ask myself, why hasn't this been resolved by the Linux Mint Mate administrators or whomever is responsible for creating Linux Mint Mate installers?

So far to resolve this, the Linux Mint Mate users (including new users) have to try various methods to fix this, assuming they even realize that it is happening? Resolution #3 below, resetting the Mate Panel, would seem to be the first logical option to try, and could be run from the Mint Mate Installer on first boot-up if need be.

I noticed that if you right-click the taskbar, select properties, the "Panel Properties" pop-up window appears, if you uncheck the "Expand" box, then you can see any applications running in the task bar, but your system tray panel is now different.
thx-1138 wrote: [SOLVED] buttons disappearing on mint - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=264272&p=1433405& ... r#p1433405

...1: did you try adding the Window List applet?

...2: can you try running the following in a terminal? /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdesktop/mintdesktop.py
If that doesn't do anything for some obscure reason, then /usr/bin/python3 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdesktop/mintdesktop.py instead?
This should open the "Desktop Settings" that austin.texas suggested - if it doesn't, then well...houston, we've got a problem.

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdesktop/mintdesktop.py
and or

/usr/bin/python3 /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintdesktop/mintdesktop.py
...3: if nothing of the above did worked, can you try in a terminal mate-panel --reset & see if that fixes it? If that still doesn't fix it, maybe give a try to gsettings reset-recursively org.mate.panel?

mate-panel --reset
Is this just my ancient computer hardware or what?

A couple other posts on this...

Disappearing Firefox - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=265815

Weird Taskbar Behaviour - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=266561

Thanks for any good replies and suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: * Mate - Panel Taskbar application minimize issues

Post by sdibaja »

that is very odd behaviour.
maybe file a bug report? Not sure if Mint has such a facility but Mate does: https://github.com/mate-desktop
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I've been using Mate for probably over 2 years now and I have never had this problem.
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Agreed phd21, I love Mate, and especially Mate 18 Series but just cannot install it any more unless a fix can be found, or even better not have this issue to start with. I can say that it occurs on everything I've used, Linux Live Sessions and ALL Installs, no matter what computer it's on so far. The only issue I've noticed (because I don't use it that much) is the File Manager gets stuck in the Panel. I am going to try some of your fixes on my one install. Interesting enough, the issue stopped on one of my customers laptops with 18.0 on it, but all others still act up.

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=237242
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I also know the phenomenon - if I press the mouse pointer on a launcher icon too long, two windows of the same program will open.
mint4all
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mint4all »

Greetings! Because i primarily use the XFCE desktop (2 desktops, 2 laptops), i've done some testing b4 posting a reply. My tests used an LM-Mate 18.3 64-bit live DVD, and an Ubuntu-Mate 16.04.3 dual-boot (32-bit) laptop.

Afaict, Ubuntu's distro is clean -- i could not produce any of the foregoing, unwanted / unexpected / buggy behavior. I am now attempting an upgrade to Ubuntu-Mate 18.04 and will see if that introduces said UI-problems.

By contrast, after booting up with the LM-Mate 18.3 live DVD (equivalent to ubuntu 16.04.3) i was able to reproduce said UI-problems. It seems that whenever Mate's "Mint Menu" is being opened up -- for whatever purposes -- any already minimized apps sleeping in the panel's window list can no longer be brought up UNTIL a new app is launched via the menu, or via a launcher button on the panel. Even Mate's apps-cycler/-switcher (alt-tab) is blocked from bringing an already-running app to the foreground.

It should be noted that LM's "Mint Menu" is a custom-programmed menu that differs quite a bit from Ubuntu's (native?) Mate-menu. Considering the context of the noted UI-problem, i'd say that the Mint-Menu seems to rest at the heart of the needed fix/patch ...
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Try menu bar, the traditional Gnome 2 three drop down.
I doubt they broke it.

I was unable to reproduce your error in Debian Stretch Mate
Peter
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

@mint4all, Thanks for the work brother! I'm glad to see that this is not present in Mate 19, but Screen Tearing in Mate 19 with Firefox is unacceptable, so again, I won't use Mint Mate anymore and will look to Ubuntu Mate perhaps.

Very sad as Mate was a good one for not so good graphics etc.
Super Clean Runs Perfect
geodude9537

Post by geodude9537 »

I run Mate, found the same problem, here is what i did
to show open programs intask bar :D

you can try following these steps:

right click on panel
add to panel
pick windows list
geodude9537

Post by geodude9537 »

pcpunk wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:43 am @mint4all, Thanks for the work brother! I'm glad to see that this is not present in Mate 19, but Screen Tearing in Mate 19 with Firefox is unacceptable, so again, I won't use Mint Mate anymore and will look to Ubuntu Mate perhaps.
Very sad as Mate was a good one for not so good graphics etc.

To fix Nvidia screen tearing with the Xfce4 compositor,
Run this command at startup:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

Has anyone reported this at https://github.com/mate-desktop ? and is that even the right place to put it?
Super Clean Runs Perfect
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I did not see a bug report, but maybe I missed it
Peter
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hello, I have been using MAte 18.3 for a long time now, didn't have that trouble, (but others) . Anyway maybe you can try with all the options available for mannaging windows. Doing right click over the panel and selecting -"add".
I have selected "windows list" mate- window- picker- applet however I have a little issue or doubt which I posted here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=276247.

I am wondering if there is a way to minimize windows to the panel , in order they are shown like in Ubuntu dock, or like in Windows 7 task bar. :roll: :roll: I know this could be an off topic, but I think any suggestion could also help to the "subject". Regards
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

I wonder if this still exists in 19, does anyone know?
Super Clean Runs Perfect

Return to “MATE”