Mate Desktop Changed Theme, Needs Mint-X

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChiliN

Mate Desktop Changed Theme, Needs Mint-X

Post by ChiliN »

Hi, I've switched my Linux Mint Mate 18.3 desktop on today and the theme has suddenly changed. The title bar has gone green with black borders and white text, the close and minimize window icons have gone to a black background and so dark grey I can't see the icon symbol. The window decoration seems to have black line borders in some places. The menus have gone ugly with the green bar (like the title bar) and the selection highlight box is leaving a trail. The selection highlight box and menu text is half cut off in some places.

I only ever use the default Mint Mate theme. Is this what it has changed to?

I've tried going into the appearance settings but when I get to the theme selector it tells me the theme can't work properly without Mint-X installed. I've got Mint-Y installed but I never play with theme settings as something always seems to go wrong. It was working fine yesterday, I think I had a lshw upgrade this morning but no other updates. How do I get back to the proper default Mate theme?

Also just checked my Devuan install with OpenBox and running some videos on VLC in case it was a hardware problem but all is still the same there. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mate Desktop Changed Theme, Needs Mint-X

Post by trytip »

the mate green is ugly indeed, install the mint-x themes. what's the issue
ChiliN

Post by ChiliN »

The only place I could find anything related to mint-x themes was on gnome-look.org, is that what I need to download and install? I can't find anything when searching the official repo's on my machine, just the mint-y themes. I've tried looking by hand through the packages on synaptic too, nothing related to mint-x. If I use apt-get install what's the name of the packages?
ChiliN

Post by ChiliN »

Okay, problem eventually solved. The package that contains mint-x is called mint-themes. It seems to have been corrupted by an install of LibreOffice 6 from the official PPA so I have just reinstalled the themes package via apt and rebooted the machine. Also had to nip into the appearance settings, click on customise, then change one characteristic, change it back (without saving in between) and save it before exiting the appearance menu.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

I removed libreoffice after a fresh install and all my themes and icons switched as you stated (weird green bar, etc). I installed mint-themes package which pulls in libreoffice-style-mint. I set theme to "Mint-X" and all is good again. Why on earth would the default out-of-the-box theme be tied into libreoffice???
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

libreoffice-style-mint is a mint maintained package and not provided by libreoffice - it is cross-dependent with mint-themes

This issue is coming up more frequently recently usually by users attempting to remove the repo version of libreoffice and inadvertently removing this package as-well taking its dependencies with it. Unfortunate package naming I guess.

You are probably missing also mint-artwork-gnome as-well as mint-meta-mate.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
dcrowder
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dcrowder »

Thanks. I reinstalled those packages.
I never guessed

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*
would bork the themes! Live and learn I guess.
Mint 21 Vanessa | Cinnamon | x64

Return to “MATE”