Desktop goes black

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hammerhead8599

Desktop goes black

Post by hammerhead8599 »

Hello,
I am using Linux mint 18.3 on a Lenovo I7 laptop. I have a problem with one of my user accounts. I was downloading last night so my laptop was on all night and all day today. I used the mint updater to run three updates that were released today. As I was working I noticed my cpu cores were running wide open like an open web page was running a mining script so I shut down and rebooted. After rebooting the machine will show the decrypt screen and then the user log in screen. I enter the main user password and the screen tries to open. I see the cursor and the task bar at the bottom. Then the screen goes black. If I reboot and log in with a secondary user account all works as it should. As a matter of fact I am on the same machine now using my secondary account to type this.
I am using 384.11 driver for Nvidia graphics.
I have no idea where to start looking to diagnose this so any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Desktop goes black

Post by deepakdeshp »

Try creating a new user and check if everything works.
Of yes then you can move the files from old user to new and change ownership to new user
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
hammerhead8599

Post by hammerhead8599 »

Thanks I was just working on that. But I am the type that likes to know why something doesn't work. :D
If anyone has any ideas I am still hoping to figure it out.
joez

Post by joez »

We experienced the same problem, and noticed that when pointing to the solid colour background it says "No Desktop Background" and we could find no indication that selecting it and assigning a colour resulted in making a configuration change.
The solution, or perhaps more appropriately called work around we found was to create a jpg image of a landscape containing a background colour we wanted to be used as the Desktop background with Gimp, and selected that for our background.
We made a folder in home called background and saved the jpg image there rather than save it in /usr/share/backgrounds/... so it would remain available after system upgrades.

Return to “MATE”