caja slow in mate

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abharshahic

caja slow in mate

Post by abharshahic »

I am running LM 18.3
file explorer caja seems to be lagging. It takes like 3 or 4 seconds to move between folder icons using arrow keys.
the mouse click is kind of abnormal. I have to click a folder once before i double click it for opening and then it take time to load.I don't have issues with any other programs.
All the other apps run smoothly.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -F
System:    Host: no-kill-zone Kernel: 4.10.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: Dell (portable) product: Inspiron N4030 v: A05
           Mobo: Dell model: 0KRP5X v: A05 Bios: Dell v: A05 date: 10/14/2010
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3 M 380 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2527 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 2128 MHz 3: 2261 MHz
           4: 1463 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.49.0 / 4.10.0-38-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.10.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: wl
           IF: wlp18s0 state: up mac: c0:cb:38:94:ea:f3
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c
           IF: enp19s0 state: down mac: 78:2b:cb:c7:7e:02
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (55.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD0 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 74G used: 16G (23%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: /home size: 277G used: 236G (90%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 8.05GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 86.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 81.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 212 Uptime: 2:43 Memory: 1882.4/3814.8MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: caja slow in mate

Post by trytip »

check the .xsession-errors
abharshahic

Post by abharshahic »

trytip wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:06 am check the .xsession-errors
There is a whole bunch of error in it. What should i be checking?
Thanks
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Install the latest kernel of the 4.13 series (should be a level 4 update). Then reboot.

If no improvement: install the latest kernel of the 4.4 series (Update Manager - panel: View - Linux kernels), reboot and make sure you boot from it (it's under the header Advanced in the Grub bootloader menu).

Also disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... n-Cinnamon
(item 7.1, right column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 am Also disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
They're using Mate though.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 am
Pjotr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 am Also disable all visual effects in Cinnamon:
His inxi output says Cinnamon.... :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 am
Moem wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 am
His inxi output says Cinnamon.... :)
And the title says Mate... and the topic is posted in the MATE section. Plus: Caja. Something is wrong...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
abharshahic

Post by abharshahic »

Its because I installed mint-meta-mate in cinnamon. Gave it a try.
I have removed MATE and sticking to cinnamon for now.It works well in my system.
Should this topic be considered solved or is there something else..
And thanks for your help.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

file explorer caja seems to be lagging. It takes like 3 or 4 seconds to move between folders ...
...and even in latest Mint Mate 19.2 (64bit), with Caja 1.22.1, this (random, but often enough) "BUG" still takes 2 to 5 seconds to reload current folders, EVEN when the (local SSD disk) folder only contains a couple files in it.?!
So not sure if it's gvfs upstream, ...? This issue with Caja has been going on for awhile now.

I've replaced Caja with Thunar for most file/folder manager needs in MATE, and it's blazingly faster, with NO hanging when displaying contents of folders.
I've been using (Mint's) MATE for over 4 years now, but now I may just have to migrate over to XFCE.
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

scjet45 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 pm ...and even in latest Mint Mate 19.2 (64bit), with Caja 1.22.1, this (random, but often enough) "BUG" still takes 2 to 5 seconds to reload current folders, EVEN when the (local SSD disk) folder only contains a couple files in it.?!
So not sure if it's gvfs upstream, ...? This issue with Caja has been going on for awhile now.
Never seen that in Caja 1.22.1 or older. Check if you have root owned folders in your /home(the .gvfs) if so, change ownership.
scjet45
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scjet45 »

ColdBootII wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 am
scjet45 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:52 pm ...and even in latest Mint Mate 19.2 (64bit), with Caja 1.22.1, this (random, but often enough) "BUG" still takes 2 to 5 seconds to reload current folders, EVEN when the (local SSD disk) folder only contains a couple files in it.?!
Never seen that in Caja 1.22.1 or older. Check if you have root owned folders in your /home(the .gvfs) if so, change ownership.
@ColdBootII

This has nothing to do with "ownership" -it ain't a no show, it's all about a SLOOOOOWWWW show, get it now ?
You only say it's NOT a problem for you, but that's because you obviously haven't had to deal with hundreds/thousands of files/folders, ....
It doesn't matter if it's because of Caja, and/or Gvfs, what matters is, the FACT that it happens at all ???

And, as I said above, this issue sporadically happens even when there are only a couple files within a folder. ?

Sooo, Why is it that Dolphin(KDE), or Thunar(Xfce), ... does NOT have these sloooooow refresh/reload folder/file view issues.. ? mmm?

and yes, I'm on latest 19.2 (MATE), and STILL this sporadic and annoying file/folder view issues continue with Caja, and/or gvfs,
and let's face it, Caja, Nemo, are all based/ported around Nautilus anyway.

The point is,
when did workable but with possible redhat/systemd bugs, suddenly become good enough for the rest of us MINT user's. ?
MATE 21.3 | Lenovo Legion 5 17ACH6
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Maybe there are too many thumbnails in cache and that slows it down... Did you try deleting them?

Edit: in addition, I open a folder with 8,500 files (perhaps that qualifies as large) in 3.5s and refresh is made in 2s and is not so slow to me given the numbers. Folders with few files are refreshed instantly never noticed anything else. But, I also noticed that sometimes some members use/abuse a file manager in many cases where specialized software would be much more efficient for the occasion, like music players or image organizers.

As for Dophin, I very much like the features but the point is, it was always SLOOOOOOOWWW to start. :mrgreen: Cheers.

Return to “MATE”