What is this panel separator called?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

What is this panel separator called?

Post by somelurker »

I'm using the latest version of Mate. I accidentally removed one of the items from my panel recently. It's some kind of separator consisting of three dashes, but it's not the same as the vertical line separator. Can someone tell me what this mysterious separator is called and how I can add it back to my panel? I've attached a picture of the separator I'm talking about. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: What is this panel separator called?

Post by Schultz »

That looks like what goes before the window list. Did you delete "Window List"?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

create a new user log off / log in to new user then you can see what you deleted
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by somelurker »

Yep, it's the thing that goes before the window list, but my window list is still there. I can see the separator on another computer's installation of Mint, but I don't know how to bring it back or what it's called. Right-clicking it brings up this menu:

System Monitor
Preferences
Help
About
Remove from panel
Move
Lock to Panel

I can bring up this same menu on the computer that's missing the separator by clicking on the blank space where the separator should be, so I'm not sure why there isn't a separator in the blank list. I even removed and added back the window list, but there's still no separator there.

Edit: I just tried removing and re-adding the window list on the computer that shows the separator, and it brought the separator back. It looks like it's part of the window list. Is there a reason why it looks different on different computers?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

somelurker wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:13 pm Yep, it's the thing that goes before the window list, but my window list is still there. I can see the separator on another computer's installation of Mint, but I don't know how to bring it back or what it's called. Right-clicking it brings up this menu:

System Monitor
Preferences
Help
About
Remove from panel
Move
Lock to Panel

I can bring up this same menu on the computer that's missing the separator by clicking on the blank space where the separator should be, so I'm not sure why there isn't a separator in the blank list. I even removed and added back the window list, but there's still no separator there.

Edit: I just tried removing and re-adding the window list on the computer that shows the separator, and it brought the separator back. It looks like it's part of the window list. Is there a reason why it looks different on different computers?
Hello somelurker
3 dashes is the symbol for System Monitor, Separator has a thin vertical stripe.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

So it seems he needs to add System Monitor back to the panel.

But why does moving this also move the opened windows list around if it doesn't have anything to do with the window list?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Sometimes the panel behaves strangely when you move the entries back and forth. It takes a little patience until everything is placed and locked in the desired order.

To make matters worse, the Notification Area has also a 3-dashes symbol on its left side to lock it...
somelurker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by somelurker »

I did try adding the System Monitor to the panel, but on both computers, that only adds some kind of changing graph to the panel rather than the 3 dashes.

The point about the Notification Area also having the 3 dashes was excellent. I noticed that on one computer, both the Notification Area and the Window List have those dashes to their left, but on the problematic computer, neither had the dashes.

This strongly suggests that the dashes are part of certain objects that can be added to the panel, and that the Notification Area and Window List are both examples of such objects. It also suggests that my problematic computer is missing the dashes not because the dashes are a separate object that can be added, but because the dashes are part of objects that appear differently on this computer for some reason.

If this is true, then I have to wonder: What makes objects appear differently on different computers?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

I am now on Mate Rosa: the 3-dashes Symbol in the Notificaton Area is fixed to the left side of this area. The same symbol for System Monitor is freely movable and fixable.
I'm pretty sure it stayed the same in Mate Sylvia (on my netbook with Sylvia the symbols are so stupidly small that I can say almost nothing about it...)
As a big Mate lover I have to say: the symbol for System Monitor is much too small and not clearly recognizable. Since Mate whatever, it bounces around when you set up the panel and causes unnecessary confusion because you overlook it or confuse it with a separator...

A not too small, beautiful, colorful, recognizable panel-symbol for System Monitor... ?
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If it's truly for System Monitor, then why, when you click either "About" or "Preferences" it brings up info for Window List?

Maybe if he resets the panel it'll come back. I think I've read here on the forums about resetting the panel but I don't know how to do it.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

somelurker wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:07 pm...
If this is true, then I have to wonder: What makes objects appear differently on different computers?
That's really a good question: I can tell you.. if you have the same system installed in English and German - or any other language - that will certainly provide some extra gray hair...

My next Mint Mate system will certainly be English in combination with the advantages of the Swiss keyboard: accents, umlauts etc. ppp. are immediately available and I avoid the Babylonian language confusion. At least I hope so.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Schultz wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 pm If it's truly for System Monitor, then why, when you click either "About" or "Preferences" it brings up info for Window List?
Maybe if he resets the panel it'll come back. I think I've read here on the forums about resetting the panel but I don't know how to do it.
Hello Schultz

You're right - after years of using Mint Mate Panel I learned a lot today... ...
An independent entry for System Monitor with a clear icon/symbol would be very desirable... :mrgreen:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I found it (how to reset Mate's panel). Link below. Be forewarned that this will delete any and all customizations you have made to the panel, which you will need to redo.

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=267581&p=1456913#p1456913

By the way, have you changed the panel's color, or any other such thing? With some colors it is hard to see, but it's there. At least for my older eyes.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Why the hell does the System Monitor appear when you right-click on the unspeakable 3-dashes symbol... ???
Why *** *** *** the default settings are related to Windows List Content... ???

Secrets, mysteries - deep in the system - to the everyday pleasure of the simple user. To be clear - it's more of a cosmetic problem - in comparison my problems with High Sierra are cosmic...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

good questions. Mate gets implemented in many forms, Linux Mint sets it up their own way.

You might want to review the Mate blog Planet MATE... http://planet.mate-desktop.org/
There is a review of the new Ubuntu 18.04 Mate version, with many tips in that article.

The Mate wiki is also a good resource: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/

I use Debian, we get a different "out of the box" setup, much like the traditional Gnome 2... and different features too.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Schultz wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:36 pm I found it (how to reset Mate's panel). Link below. Be forewarned that this will delete any and all customizations you have made to the panel, which you will need to redo.

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=267581&p=1456913#p1456913

By the way, have you changed the panel's color, or any other such thing? With some colors it is hard to see, but it's there. At least for my older eyes.
install and use mate-tweak to preserve your layout... once you have it the way you like.
Peter
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Maybe I am a reactionary idiot - but with Gnome 2 in Ubuntu Studio I had my very personal desktop with its own icons and panels on top, bottom and far right of the second monitor.
Still works today, but with Gnome 2 it was amazingly easy.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 pm Maybe I am a reactionary idiot - but with Gnome 2 in Ubuntu Studio I had my very personal desktop with its own icons and panels on top, bottom and far right of the second monitor.
Still works today, but with Gnome 2 it was amazingly easy.
Yes Mate is different in Mint. Debian Mate is nearly exactly like good old Gnome2 ... and we are getting some new goodies too, little by little.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymo894te9tbxy ... 4.png?dl=0
Peter
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:50 pm Why the hell does the System Monitor appear when you right-click on the unspeakable 3-dashes symbol... ???
Why *** *** *** the default settings are related to Windows List Content... ???

Secrets, mysteries - deep in the system - to the everyday pleasure of the simple user. To be clear - it's more of a cosmetic problem - in comparison my problems with High Sierra are cosmic...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it's no secret. system monitor appears there because it is associated with the windows that are open. same behavior when you right click in windows on taskbar to open task manager

Return to “MATE”