Panel flaws.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TL7

Panel flaws.

Post by TL7 »

I have found some flaws in the panel of MATE:

First of all, let me tell you, I am really proud, that I can put panels on top of each other on one screen side without any overlapping, but I have found a few flaws. Actually, XFCE does not have them, but maximized windows in Xfce go below the second panel, which is above the first (completely at screen bottom) panel.

But there are flaws in Mate:
- I can not easily select the order of which taskbars are placed on top of each other. Instead, I have to position them at any other screen side and then back to the bottom (preferred screen edge for panels) to move them down completely, which is a bit too bulky, but no problem, because one would just have to do that once, for configuring the preferences.
- An export option for the user interface, based on the Windows application “Fences”, just system-wide would be great. Cinnamon already allows exporting and importing individual settings.
- I am unable to remove any panel applets, and to access the applet options of the task list by right click, which just shows window options.
- If the taskbar is filled, and there is no unused space, I am unable to quick-access the panel preferences.

Is it possible, that I perceive something wrongly?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Panel flaws.

Post by sdibaja »

TL7 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:58 pm I have found some flaws in the panel of MATE:

First of all, let me tell you, I am really proud, that I can put panels on top of each other on one screen side without any overlapping, but I have found a few flaws. Actually, XFCE does not have them, but maximized windows in Xfce go below the second panel, which is above the first (completely at screen bottom) panel.

1 - I can not easily select the order of which taskbars are placed on top of each other. Instead, I have to position them at any other screen side and then back to the bottom (preferred screen edge for panels) to move them down completely, which is a bit too bulky, but no problem, because one would just have to do that once, for configuring the preferences.
2 - An export option for the user interface, based on the Windows application “Fences”, just system-wide would be great. Cinnamon already allows exporting and importing individual settings.
3 - I am unable to remove any panel applets, and to access the applet options of the task list by right click, which just shows window options.
4 - If the taskbar is filled, and there is no unused space, I am unable to quick-access the panel preferences.

Welcome to the world of Mate.
these are Not really "flaws", I guess it is a matter of understanding ... but whatever.
1. the panels have many options. play with them. (I guess you already found that right click opens the properties) You can Probably have it your way.
2. I have no idea what you mean by "export"... please explain.
3. the applets/launchers are all locked by default. again, right click then uncheck "lock to panel" ... when unlocked they can be moved or removed. (they are all shortcuts, there will be no data lost)
4. yes, when panels are full something has to give... carefully poke around with your cursor, there definitely is a "sweet spot" that you can grab.

best of luck
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hello sdibaja
I am a big friend of the MATE desktop and actually have no problems with it.
I notice - the mouse freaks out from time to time. This can happen while using an internet browser - or even if I want to make changes in the panel (new launcher, move something, start programs etc.).
I tried different mice - the best one, a wired USB mouse is broken because of cable breakage. Unfortunately.

In summary: All problems with the panel have to do with uncontrolled mouse jumps.
All these problems with MATE - with the same mouse - do not exist when I run a MATE desktop in one of the VirtualBoxes.
TL7

Post by TL7 »

sdibaja wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 pm
TL7 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 4:58 pm I have found some flaws in the panel of MATE:

1 - I can not easily select the order of which taskbars are placed on top of each other. Instead, I have to position them at any other screen side and then back to the bottom (preferred screen edge for panels) to move them down completely, which is a bit too bulky, but no problem, because one would just have to do that once, for configuring the preferences.
2 - An export option for the user interface, based on the Windows application “Fences”, just system-wide would be great. Cinnamon already allows exporting and importing individual settings.
3 - I am unable to remove any panel applets, and to access the applet options of the task list by right click, which just shows window options.
4 - If the taskbar is filled, and there is no unused space, I am unable to quick-access the panel preferences.

Welcome to the world of Mate.
these are Not really "flaws", I guess it is a matter of understanding ... but whatever.
1. the panels have many options. play with them. (I guess you already found that right click opens the properties) You can Probably have it your way.
2. I have no idea what you mean by "export"... please explain.
3. the applets/launchers are all locked by default. again, right click then uncheck "lock to panel" ... when unlocked they can be moved or removed. (they are all shortcuts, there will be no data lost)
4. yes, when panels are full something has to give... carefully poke around with your cursor, there definitely is a "sweet spot" that you can grab.

best of luck
Thank you for your warm welcome.

Export means Image
And about that sweet spot:
I suggest that clicking on any applet will show a submenu in the context menu for the panel, so that I can also access the panel settings when clicking on an applet on a panel, where a free “sweet spot” is inaccessible and bulky to find.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

TL7 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:16 am >snip<
I suggest that clicking on any applet will show a submenu in the context menu for the panel, so that I can also access the panel settings when clicking on an applet on a panel, where a free “sweet spot” is inaccessible and bulky to find.
I don't really see your point, but I am dense sometimes.
You should file a feature request with the Mate developers: https://github.com/mate-desktop
Much, but not all, of the newer features in Mate trickle down to Linux Mint Mate.

best of luck
Peter
TL7

Post by TL7 »

sdibaja wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm
TL7 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:16 am >snip<

I don't really see your point, but I am dense sometimes.
You should file a feature request with the Mate developers: https://github.com/mate-desktop
Much, but not all, of the newer features in Mate trickle down to Linux Mint Mate.

best of luck
Thanks for your help.

I meant: Cinnamon allows exporting some settings to a jSON file.
TL7

Post by TL7 »

sdibaja wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 pm carefully poke around with your cursor, there definitely is a "sweet spot" that you can grab.
I forgot to mention this:

Finding these options should not be involving to poke around and find a sweet spot.

Poking around is not something the user should need to do to reach a submenu.

The need of the user poking around is usually something user interface designers should be avoiding.

That's like submenu navigation: Works in Caja, but not in GParted log viewer or Disk Usage Analyser folder browser using arrow keys. In the 2 latter ones, one needs to press [>] (turns into [v]) to browse the lower menus.

One needs to imagine how it would be if one needed to poke around in order to reach the start menu.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I agree.
It is a poor combination of the Mint themes and Mate.

I am not a frequent Mint user... and this is one of the reasons why.
The Mint desktop should be user friendly out of the box... It is not what it should be.

Admittedly I am a Mate fan much much more than a Mint fan. Mint struggles with these things with their unique recipe.
best of luck
Peter

Return to “MATE”